cleaning a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gregcuoz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just picked up a used 120 gallon tank. The previous owner said there was never any desease in the tank. Its a bit dirty, looks like hard water. Read online and saw recommendations for bleach, vinager and CRL (yikes)... The only thing Im thinking about using is a vinager water solution. Anyone have any other suggestions. Im not using bleach and definately not using crl. If vinager is used, how much should be used? I was gonna use hot water and a sponge and then fill it with one bottle and warm water and let it soak for about 12 hours.
Anyone have any better advice?
thanks

Hi i always just use plain water,then empty all the water and let it dry right out for at least 24 hours as any bacteria that lives in water will not survive 24 hours out of water so the drying it out will in effect sterilise the tank. This works for me:) Nice sized tank by the way(y)

Hi i always just use plain water,then empty all the water and let it dry right out for at least 24 hours as any bacteria that lives in water will not survive 24 hours out of water so the drying it out will in effect sterilise the tank. This works for me:) Nice sized tank by the way(y)

Thank you. Im not so concerned about the bacteria, I just want the tank to be crystal clear. Any bacteria will help with the cycling process

Assuming its glass... Vinegar and a razor blade. Careful not to scratch. If it acrylic... I don't know, but don't use a razor blade.

Vinegar. I dump a bunch in the tank then fill the rest with water. Hard stains you can soak a couple paper towels in vinegar and lay it on the deposits for a day then try scrubbing.

Yes, white vinegar is the best route here! It will remove hard water stains too but it may take bit of elbow grease. Good luck with the new tank!!! :)

White vinegar works well, but as said before, it does take a bit of work. I'm in the process of cleaning a 20 gal that was given to me. This thing was water spotted all over. Wipe down with the vinegar and use a razor to scrape off the spots. They'll come off pretty easy. You can also use a scratch free scrub pad just don't apply alot of pressure to prevent scratches.

Back
Top Bottom