Cleaning the outside of my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunscream13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have this white stuff on the outside of my tank that won't come off, you can barely see it but it makes that part of the tank look cloudy and I can't get it off. I've tried a razor blade and Windex so far. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 1522252527050.jpg
    1522252527050.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 103
Are you sure it is on the outside? If it is mix 50% distilled white Vinegar and 50% water. That will clean it right up.

Are you sure it is on the outside? If it is mix 50% distilled white Vinegar and 50% water. That will clean it right up.
Yeah it's on the outside. It looks like calcium build up although idk how it got on the outside. It was like that when I got the tank. I got a lot of the big stuff off with a razor blade but it's not coming clean

Yeah it's on the outside. It looks like calcium build up although idk how it got on the outside. It was like that when I got the tank. I got a lot of the big stuff off with a razor blade but it's not coming clean
You can kind of see it there. I tried the vinegar mixture and it didn't work. I'm gonna let it sit on the glass for a few mins20180328_124515.jpg

I use original dawn dish soap on a rag. Then wipe it down with with a rag with just water. I wouldn't use windex. That stuff can get into the tank and kill your fish. Make sure its on the outside.

I use original dawn dish soap on a rag. Then wipe it down with with a rag with just water. I wouldn't use windex. That stuff can get into the tank and kill your fish. Make sure its on the outside.
Ok I'll try that. I soaked it in the vinegar and water solution and scrubbed it for about 20 mins

I have this white stuff on the outside of my tank that won't come off, you can barely see it but it makes that part of the tank look cloudy and I can't get it off. I've tried a razor blade and Windex so far. Any ideas?

Have you tried "Magic Eraser"? You can also purchase the generic version at the local DollarTree and it's exactly the same at 1/3 the cost! Just dampen the sponge and scrub away...It will take just about anything off!

Best of Luck

triple XXX steal wool with a little water this should remove any residue on the glass .
triple xxx steal wool will not scratch the glass it's a very fine wool , I use it on my tanks along with the glass on the cars including windshield . windex wipes will remove any smears the water and wool left behind . also works great on chrome too.

triple XXX steal wool with a little water this should remove any residue on the glass .
triple xxx steal wool will not scratch the glass it's a very fine wool , I use it on my tanks along with the glass on the cars including windshield . windex wipes will remove any smears the water and wool left behind . also works great on chrome too.
Awesome! Thanks for reply

I'll have to try that next. The steel wool didn't work.
The tank may have been in a work area before you got it. If the little you have left won't come off with a razor blade, it may be some sort of epoxy. If it is, you're probably not going to get it off no matter what.

The tank may have been in a work area before you got it. If the little you have left won't come off with a razor blade, it may be some sort of epoxy. If it is, you're probably not going to get it off no matter what.
Yeah , it's not a huge deal. Just kind of annoying

Yeah , it's not a huge deal. Just kind of annoying
If the other side of the tank is better, just get someone to help you turn it around during your next partial water change. It will ne heavy even with a substantial water level down during the water change. I personally would just live with it the way it is. From the pic you posted, the aquarium actually looks quite nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the other side of the tank is better, just get someone to help you turn it around during your next partial water change. It will ne heavy even with a substantial water level down during the water change. I personally would just live with it the way it is. From the pic you posted, the aquarium actually looks quite nice.
I meant to have it turned around when I set it up but it i just figured I could clean it off and it's a 125 gallon tank and pretty heavy empty. Even with half the water out there would be no moving it. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant to have it turned around when I set it up but it i just figured I could clean it off and it's a 125 gallon tank and pretty heavy empty. Even with half the water out there would be no moving it. Thank you
Wow...that would be too heavy. As a said before, it really looks nice the way it is. Just ignore the little spots and enjoy it.

I'll have to try that next. The steel wool didn't work.

I’m sorry to hear that the steel wool didn’t work!

I couldn’t recall if you said the stain/fogging was perceptible to the touch - It’s not on the inside of the tank?

When trying the magic eraser, instead of activating the sponge with water, I suggest using Goo Gone. The important part - Test on an inconspicuous spot on the glass. Do Not rub anywhere near the glass seams that could potentially affect the chemical integrity of the silicone!

Best of luck, keeping my fingers crossed for you!

I couldn’t recall if you said the stain/fogging was perceptible to the touch - It’s not on the inside of the tank?

When trying the magic eraser, instead of activating the sponge with water, I suggest using Goo Gone. The important part - Test on an inconspicuous spot on the glass. Do Not rub anywhere near the glass seams that could potentially affect the chemical integrity of the silicone!

The magic sponge with goo gone sounds like a good possible solution, but as I mentioned, if it's an epoxy that got dropped on the glass, it's not coming off.

I tried the goo gone. I got everything off that you could feel. Now it's just a little hazy. I'm ok with it I guess. Thanks for the suggestions though, I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom