cleaning water pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Octopus1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I wrote earlier that my son recently moved into a house that had an acquarium where they left their goldfish behind. Well, the 150 gal tank has a fluval403 water pump which apparently hasn't been cleaned in 9 months!
He wants to know how he can disconnect the hoses without making a giant mess since there will be water in the lines. What's the best way to clean the mechanism. This is a first in acquarium ownership so we are walking blind. Thanks for any help anybody has.

Canister filter

The Fluval 403 is a canister type filter. It should, if it was properly installed, have a valve on each line. Actually, if it was really done right, it would have two valves on each line with a quick connect in between. I am guessing this is not the case here though. If it has the single valve on each line, sit the filter over into a bucket, shut off the valves, and remove the lines from the top of the filter. The retainer nuts will turn opposite the way you think they should to release the lines. Once again, I'm guessing...this is the older round Fluval and not the newer square one? Around the top of the filter, you will see plastic catches...flip these down. The top unit will come off and should have a large o-ring as a gasket. There will be a stack of media containers that will probably have floss, carbon, and biomedia in that order. Keep the biomedia. If the pre filter is a sponge, you can probably wash it out too. Don't use soap or any other cleaner. If warm water and elbow grease won't get it done, try some white vinegar. Fill the chambers with fresh media and stick it back together. Be sure to fill it with water before you put the top on. Fluval filters can be tough to start back if they have air in them. Put the filter back under there, open the valves, and plug her in.
Logan J

Fluval Water Pump

Thanks LoganJ-
I printed out your response & gave it to my son.
He was really appreciative!
I'll let you know how successful he is in doing
the job.
We appreciate the fact that you sure know your stuff!
Best wishes.

Glad to help

Well, I don't know about "knowing my stuff" :oops: , but I have learned one or two things...mostly the hard way. The great thing about this site is that all the knowledge of all the members can be compiled and applied to any problem another member might have. Never hesitate to ask any question you might have and we'll all do our best to help. Wish you success with the tank and happy fish keeping.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom