Cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hollywood11892

Aquarium Advice Activist
So yesterday I did a 40 percent water change and the water is already cloudy any ideas

hollywood11892 said:
So yesterday I did a 40 percent water change and the water is already cloudy any ideas

How long has the tank been set up? Do you know your water parameters (ammo, nitrItes, nitrAtes)?

hollywood11892 said:
Bout a month and no parameters I'm going to test it tomm

Did you cycle the tank? I'd guess it's a bacteria bloom at this point, but I'd need to know the parameters before reaching a conclusion.

Yes I cycled the tank water was perfect when I tested it 0 ammonia 0 nitrites but I'll put up the recent ones tommorow after I test it.

Ok well tested it and ammonia was ok but nitrates and nitrites were way too high

How much light is it getting? I would guess bacterial bloom as well. I went through this and was told to limit the lighting. It cleared up quickly after a few days.

If you have nitrites then the tank is most likely not fully cycled. It is considered fully cycled and stable usually when the nitrites are zero and nitrates are the only thing present in the water. That can take a while, def more than a month in most occassions. I would def PWC until you get the nitrites as low as possible.
My guess on the cloudy water is a bacterial bloom just like the others said. That is normal and will go away on it's own. :)

hollywood11892 said:
Ok well tested it and ammonia was ok but nitrates and nitrites were way too high

What type of test kit are you using? I would recommend picking up an API Master Kit to make sure you are getting accurate results. I would be concerned that if you have nitrItes, ammonia may be present too and you're having a mini-cycle. Have you made any changes to the tank recently? Changed out filters or decorations? I'd do a few water changes and make sure the ammo and no2 levels are always under .25 until the tank adjusts.

Gets alot of light as it's buy the window so it could be that. and I didn't test it took it to my lfs

Gets alot of light as it's buy the window so it could be that. and I didn't test it took it to my lfs

Remember though that having any nitrItes is not normal for an established tank. Ammonia and nitrItes should always be at 0. I'd do 50% water changes every day...and then take another sample to the lfs to have tested and make sure ammo and no2 are at 0. It's also a good idea to have your own test kit. Make sure it is liquids and not strips.

If it is a bacterial bloom, that IS normal, but not caused by being near a window. They are very common in not yet established tanks, and if your tank has only been running a month and you have nitrites then your tank is not established yet. When a tank gets natural light it is also a common occurrance to get an algea bloom which can cause cloudy water, but in that case the cloud is more of a greenish yellow color, not a white cloudy. The difference is visually obvious. I would not be too worried about the cloudy water...honestly that resolves itself. I would be concerned with getting your nitrites down until your tank is stable and cycled.

I guess we should have asked, but is the cloudiness white?

What all do you have in the tank as decoration? Was the substrate and everything else rinsed thoroughly? This can cause cloudiness, especially with driftwood and substrate that isn't rinsed well enough.

Everything was rinsed I'm thinking it was Algea. And the lfs recommended fior the nitrates and nitrites stresszyme any one know if this would work

hollywood11892 said:
Everything was rinsed I'm thinking it was Algea. And the lfs recommended fior the nitrates and nitrites stresszyme any one know if this would work

Honestly those products are only a temporary fix. You can accomplish more by simply changing the water. This article is probably the most linked article on the site. It will walk you through how to keep the ammo and no2 levels within safe ranges. You just need a bucket and a dechlorinator (preferably Seachem Prime).
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...nd-another-fishless-cycling-log-150982-6.html

Back
Top Bottom