Cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StuMcc99

Aquarium Advice Freak
Why would my tank go cloudy within one day, it was fine this morning when I went to work, got home and it was cloudy. I have just done a 10% water change on so hopefully it will be fine soon.
But would anyone have any ideas why it would go like that?
It's a 125ltr tank.

It's just over 3 weeks old, I started putting fish in about a week ago and they have all been in together for about 4 days now.
Will it clear up or is there anything I need to do? Plus will it harm the fish?

So, I'm gonna add to this a little, the question at least.

1- What "defines" an established tank, as in time set up? Time with fish?
2- My current tank, a 45 long, had water and gravel (nothing else, not even plants or rocks) running with a hob filter from the beginning of October till half way through November, then I added a few fish, and have been adding a few fish a every week or so since then. So, would this tank be 2 or 3 months old? Is it established? I dunno.

So, I'm gonna add to this a little, the question at least.

1- What "defines" an established tank, as in time set up? Time with fish?
2- My current tank, a 45 long, had water and gravel (nothing else, not even plants or rocks) running with a hob filter from the beginning of October till half way through November, then I added a few fish, and have been adding a few fish a every week or so since then. So, would this tank be 2 or 3 months old? Is it established? I dunno.

1) An established aquarium is one that the biological filtration has matured. It all depends, it can take up to 6 months for a tank to become mature.
2) What were your last test readings? Are they stable?

One last question, I have an air stone (if thats what they are called, pumps bubbles at the back) at the back of my tank, I was wondering if that would help by putting it on or should I leave it off?

One last question, I have an air stone (if thats what they are called, pumps bubbles at the back) at the back of my tank, I was wondering if that would help by putting it on or should I leave it off?
Hey Stu, i recently had a bacterial bloom...I won't worry about it too much. I know they look ugly but are relative harmless..It's to do with a certain type of bacteria(sorry can't remember the name)..This type of bacteria lives in the water rather than your filter or substrate/decor..It also multiples every 15 mins or so, your bacteria in the filter is every 8hrs i believe. I'm probably wrong on the exact multiplying time and will stand corrected, but i'm sure you get the idea..It can be caused by a number of factors including over-feeding, dead fish, cleaning too much in the in one go.. I totally redone my lay-out and that's what caused mine...
Water changes will not do any harm of course but they will not 'fix' the problem as the bacteria will just multiple again..It might clear up for a bit but not for long..It'll basically 'burn' itself out...There is a few things you can do to speed it up though;
1.Run your air-stone 24/7
2.Leave the lights off as much as possible and even cover the tank(with a towel) to keep as much light out as possible.
3.Don't feed for a few days or as little as possible
The only cure for a bacterial bloom is a UV sterilizer, imo it's not worth the expense, but of course that's up to you...There's a lot of discussions on here for the true benefits of UV sterilizers. I personally don't have one and have no intention of getting one either..That's just me!!..By the way, most/all aquarists have experienced these at some stage and usually happens before the tank is mature...
I attached some photos of before, during, after of my bloom..
Hope this helps...Ian

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 69
@ Ian
Thanks for that I will put the air stone on all the time now & put the lights on for as long as poss, I have been feeding them twice a day so I will knock that down to once, I do have some fry in a breeding box in there as well should I still feed them as much as poss tho?
I was hoping to go get another fish this weekend, but thought I best wait till it clears up, should I hold off on it or not??

@ Ian
Thanks for that I will put the air stone on all the time now & put the lights on for as long as poss, I have been feeding them twice a day so I will knock that down to once, I do have some fry in a breeding box in there as well should I still feed them as much as poss tho?
I was hoping to go get another fish this weekend, but thought I best wait till it clears up, should I hold off on it or not??
Hey Stu, you can get away without feeding them for a few days..A hungry fish is an active fish!!. You could feed them once every second day but only small bits at a time. Watch them as your feeding and as soon as they stop eating, stop feeding..I would keep feeding the fry though but just as much as they eat at a time. You don't want any food sitting there uneaten...Not sure what you mean about the lights, but they should be on for as little as poss not as long as poss.. You could get that fish if you want, i could be wrong, but i don't see it being a problem by adding it..If it was me i would probably leave it, especially if it's an expensive one!!..
I am no expert by any means, but all the advice i gave you worked for me. Please consider any other advice anyone else gives you, but again the advice i gave was given to me by experienced aquarists and i personally know it works..
Best of luck, keep in touch and let me know how you get on..Ian

Back
Top Bottom