Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Butterflikissies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm new here. I just upgraded my tank almost 3 weeks ago. I had my filter (for a 70 gallon) on my 20 gallon tank and I moved it to this one which is a 46 gallon. The only thing I changed was, I added a large (plastic) driftwood which I soaked in water for a day and I changed from gravel to sand. I washed the sand out many many times till the water was clear. After about 4 days I got an ammonia spike of 1.0. I did a few water changes and after 2 days the ammonia stayed at 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates 5. The water in my tank was crystal clear the first day. The second day it became little hazy. After my tank's ammonia read 0 I noticed the water went from a little hazy to cloudy and what looks like a bacteria bloom. It's been cloudy for the past week now. Is this normal to happen? My last setup it was only cloudy during the cycle (where my ammonia reading was up and had no nitrates) This time it's cloudy even with the good readings. I did a 50% water change the other day (which was my weekly water change but I did a little more to see if the cloudiness would get better) the water looked a little better but after a few hours it was back to how it was. I don't see the point in doing anymore water changes (especially with my readings how they are) than my weekly one since after a few hours its back to how it was. I'd like to know your thoughts on all this. Should I do more water changes or just leave it alone? This is really frustrating me. Many have told me it's the sand.. but from what I've been reading it should have settled a long time ago. Is this a bacteria bloom going on?
I'd appreciate any help you guys can give me :puppydogeyes:

Welcome to AA :) What kind of sand did you put in the tank? Is it just overall hazy or can you see like a white cloud rolling around in the tank?

Welcome to AA :) What kind of sand did you put in the tank? Is it just overall hazy or can you see like a white cloud rolling around in the tank?

Thank you! :)

I put pool filter sand. I was told by many people that this was the best way, affordable and clean. I would say it's hazy... its not really white or at least not a heavy white.. but when I stare up to the light in the tank.. I see what looks like many pieces of dust flying around. I have a pic I can add (if I can figure out how to post)

I think it's a little worse than when I took this pic but you can get an idea.

Attachments

• dusty1.jpg
    dusty1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 75
i've got pfs in all of my tanks and it hasnt caused any issues with cloudiness... that almost looks like microbubbles in the picture, but they would go away after a few hours. Im putting money on a bacteria bloom. I had one in my first tank because i didnt know about cycling and it looked like a white cloud that would just roll through the tank. if i turned my lights on, i could see it. Not a real bright white cloud, just a dull greyish color. Its really hard to say for sure though. If your ammonia and nitrite readings are both 0, just keep an eye on it for the next few days. if it is a bacteria bloom, it should go away soon. if not, and it is dust particles or something, pwc's will be the only way to get rid of them, maybe even add a polishing pad to your filter? Maybe somebody else can give you some better ideas

I agree with rookie.

Having just started using PFS after reading many posts about it, I won't go back to regular gravel.

It does take a few days to settle, I used filter floss in our filter. Just kept rinsing the floss and doing water changes until the tank cleared, then let it do the cycle. Once the cycle started, I did get the rolling cloud effect as well. But I also used Nutrifin cycle to give it a boost. All of those "cycle starters" can give you a cloud.

Thanks so much for all your quick replies! Yeah, I found it hard to believe it could be the sand since I washed it like crazy! and the tank was crystal clear when I added the water the first day. It had plenty of time to settle (3 weeks tomorrow) My water readings are perfect, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate. I did add a piece of filter floss in the filter when I added it to the 46 gallon because I knew there might be smaller particles that my aqua clear probably couldnt really get out. I just added another piece under my biomax last night just in case it is the sand particles. I didn't want to disturb my filter so I didn't want to take it apart to rinse anything.. so I figured just add another piece of filter floss.

I looked online for the polish filter? I'm not exactly sure if I'm looking at the right thing or not.. could you possibly add a link for me so I know what to get? Again, I have a Aqua Clear filter.

Thank you all very much!

i dont think they make them for aquaclear filters... they do for fluval canisters though and that would work fine, theyre just a super fine fiber that will get some of the smallest stuff out of the water. It would be worth a try, imo. If anybody knows of one made for aquaclear...?

Thank you ampa one.

Rookie, I found this: Powerhead Quick Filter

Is that like something your talking about? If so.. Where in the world do I put this? lol It sorta looks like it attaches to the intake tube.. but I seriously have no clue.

ohhh... Okay. I guess for the Aqua clear it's that thing I showed you. I don't know though... I have this feeling it's a bacteria bloom. It's impossible from all that I've read about sand for this to be like this. Especially since I cleaned it so well.

Hmm, after reading your posts I'm thinking it's definitely a bacterial bloom, but with your numbers that doesn't make sense to me.

What type of kit (and how old) are you using to measure ammonia/nitrIte/nitrAte with?

I use API glass tubes and they are only about 8 months old.

What in the world could be causing this than? :( I made a video of my tank 10 days after i set it up (it was during the 2 days I had the ammonia spike) than a couple days later it started getting cloudy. So, it can't be the sand..

I set the tank up feb 1st. This was taken feb 10th

YouTube - Blood Parrots & Corydora's

It was a tiny bit hazy but you can barely notice it in the video.

I use API glass tubes and they are only about 8 months old.

What in the world could be causing this than? :( I made a video of my tank 10 days after i set it up (it was during the 2 days I had the ammonia spike) than a couple days later it started getting cloudy. So, it can't be the sand..

I set the tank up feb 1st. This was taken feb 10th

YouTube - Blood Parrots & Corydora's

It was a tiny bit hazy but you can barely notice it in the video.

Do you happen to have access to a diatom filter? That would make the water crystal clear in an hour and you could then track how long it takes (if) to come back.

I've really have no good explaination of what it could be if not bacterial in nature. And I don't know what the bacteria could be feeding on if the nitrAtes are that low.

I just looked it up.. they seem to be very expensive. I can't really afford to get one right now.... =\

I did a 40% water change... and it still looks cloudy. I took out my filter floss and it looked a little dirty.. I rinsed it out and put it back in. I bought a Anubias nana plant last night because someone told me its good for the water or something. I'm about to give up. Nothing makes sense.

I just looked it up.. they seem to be very expensive. I can't really afford to get one right now.... =\

I did a 40% water change... and it still looks cloudy. I took out my filter floss and it looked a little dirty.. I rinsed it out and put it back in. I bought a Anubias nana plant last night because someone told me its good for the water or something. I'm about to give up. Nothing makes sense.

I have a Vortex XL, cost about $110 a couple years ago. I haven't used it in almost 2 years, but it is fantastic at quickly clearing the water.

A water change like that won't do much visually. You are only removing potentially less than 1/2 of the particles in the water, you'd need something like 80% + to really notice a difference. IMO it's not really worth it.

If it's as fine as I'm guessing filter floss really isn't going to do anything for you. It's great at getting rid of large particles, not small ones that stay in suspension.

Anubias is a great low-light plant that you can treat more as a decoration than a plant. I have no clue why anyone would recommend it as a water cleaning product though....even under high light and CO2 it grows slowly enough that it can't really help with ammonia/nitrIte/nitrAte. I have a ton of it in my puffer tank, and I have to trim it maybe twice a year...

Don't give up. The fish are the most important thing in that tank. If they look healthy and are eating, it's a minor blemish right now.

Yeah, I'm trying to be patient. I think what's bothering me the most is I don't know what's causing it.

I see your point with the Anubia. Oh well, I always wanted to get a real plant anyways. I was always scared they'd all die. So, I'm going to experiment with this one. I bought it on ebay. I hope I won't get a snail infestation.. lol

The fish look fine. They are hungry and swimming all around. I'm just so sick of this cloudy water. I guess maybe I can look into the filter on ebay.. maybe someone is selling it used or something..
Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom