Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffruth

Aquarium Advice Freak
I did my PWC and now my tank is extremely cloudy. Vacuumed the gravel and changed about 40% of the water. Any thoughts as to why it would happen. Checked the water and it is reading normal levels for all parameters. Even cleaned the filter media, in the tank water, and now at a loss.

Too much cleaning all at once can cause a bacterial bloom. If it's cloudy white, then that's what you have. PWC of 25-50% over the next 3 days or so will clear it, or you could just let it go and it's subside in a week or so.

I did my PWC and now my tank is extremely cloudy. Vacuumed the gravel and changed about 40% of the water. Any thoughts as to why it would happen. Checked the water and it is reading normal levels for all parameters. Even cleaned the filter media, in the tank water, and now at a loss.

When you say you cleaned the filter media, how did you do this? Because if you threw it away or washed it tap water you may have just killed off your BB which means you're heading for a mini cycle. As for cloudiness it will generally subside after running filter for 24 hours.

I cleaned it in the water I took from the tank and replaced it back into the filter. I will watch it over the next few days, maybe a PWC tonight and might hold off on the amount I feed. Thanks for the info, will keep you posted. And it does seem to be of a white coloring.

Did a 30%ish water change 4 hours ago. Still very cloudy. I will just have to wait this one out and see what comes of it.

I have a 20g planted, heavy stocked. Aquaclear 30 + a aquaclear 10 powerhead through a quickfilter. Gravel.

Back
Top Bottom