Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cdodds12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 7 gallon tank with a betta in it. I treat the water with Tetra Aquasafe Plus. Lately I've noticed that the water looks really cloudy. I do a 50% water change every week while vacuuming the gravel, last week it was more like a 95%, and for the past week I have changed 25% every day, but it still won't clear up. I don't know what to do other than to completely tear the tank down and start over, which I really don't want to do. Any suggestions?

The tank has been up since the end of September, I just use gravel in the bottom. I haven't tested the water, the pet shop only has the test strips, but they have ordered me a test kit that should be here soon hopefully.

This is a Freshwater tank i believed right?? Look i have a 40 gallon Freshwater and a 10 gall reef! Your doing to much water changes use a water conditioner add a new filter and let it sit for abour 2-3 days dont do water movement and just wait all the cloudy will sit an the other will be filtered! I had aame problem!

image-489093173.jpg

I recomend for u to use this kind of gravel! And live plants in your tank ! Its healthier!

It is a freshwater tank. Letting the water sit didn't work, before I was doing the water changes everyday I let it sit for almost a week, and the water just kept getting murkier each day. I was going to put some live plants, but my tank is kind of tall and narrow, and I worry that without being able to take them out to clean the gravel that I won't be able to clean it properly.

What type of filter are u using? Hang on back style? Are u frequently changing your filter media if u are don't u need to let it establish beneficial bacteria

It is a hang on back tetra whisper filter. We change the cartridge every 3 weeks or so, whenever the water starts flowing over the top, but there is also a sponge inside that I don't clean except for rinsing it in a bowl of tank water.

I figured it out. I had totally over estimated the size if the tank, and had been putting too much water conditioner. It wasn't until I moved the box the tank came in to get at some Christmas ornaments in the attic that I noticed it is only actually 5 gallons, not 7. Water has been clear now for 3 days with a proper dose.

Wait so can too much conditioner make water cloudy? I have the same problem where the bottom half of my 15gallon is cloudy but the top is alot more clear. I have been doing around a 40% water change each week but its staying.

Wait so can too much conditioner make water cloudy? I have the same problem where the bottom half of my 15gallon is cloudy but the top is alot more clear. I have been doing around a 40% water change each week but its staying.

I didn't know this either...
I have crappy tap water at my house, so I tend to add in a little "extra" conditioner. Is that bad? I notice it gets clearer after a day or so, but I assumed that was just debris settling after getting stirred up during the water change.

I don't exactly know. But it's the only thing that's different. There's no reason that too much should turn the water cloudy, but this is the first time in weeks that the water has stayed clear.

Back
Top Bottom