cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aring

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone please give me some advice? My tank water is cloudy and the water clarity im using isnt helping...what else can i do?

Can someone please give me some advice? My tank water is cloudy and the water clarity im using isnt helping...what else can i do?

Others more experienced than I can probably help, but I experienced a bacterial bloom which I thought would NEVER clear up when I changed out both of my filter mediums on a 5 gal Chi tank as a total newbie. I learned my lesson. Have you been doing some major housecleaning in your tank?

I did a water change 2 weeks ago and again today....30% change,and wiped glass inside tank....i also double filter my tank and only have 3 fish

Cloudy Tank Water

Hello aring...

The water in my tank was cloudy for the first 6 months or so and there were two reasons: I was vacuuming the gravel and using some cheap filter media that came with my filtration equipment. Within a couple of water changes of no longer vacuuming and disturbing the substrate and using a heavy poly fiber in the filters, my water cleared and has been crystal clear since.

B

How long ago did you set up the tank along with Mumma's questions? New tanks often go through a quick bacterial bloom which generally clears on its own. Stop using the clairifiers as the chemicals are not good for the fish or tank. When you do a WC does the water almost immediately cloud back up? If so this indicates a bacterial bloom.

I use prime in my water...i havnt added anything new at all...set tank up about 6 weeks ago....i have sand in my tank so its usually quite cloudy after i do a water change anyway while the sand is settling but its been 2+ hrs and still cloudy so im sure its not the sand.....i did unplug one of my filters for over a week due to storms..could that be it maybe? I just dont know

The filter could be causing a small bacterial bloom. Why does your sand substrate get so stirred up when doing a WC?

Cuz im not exactly skilled at the whole sand/gravel pump yet lol...im working on it tho

With sand just gently swirl the gravel vac about an inch or so above the sand. This makes the detris rise up and you can easily suction it out without messing up your sand.

Ok ty i will do that...im pretty sure its an algae bloom cuz i got a good look and the water has a greenish tint..so what do i do or buy to solve this please?

Ive been wanting to get one but until i can what else can i try?

Does the tank get any sunlight (direct or indirect)? Also what the nitrate level? If you can address the problem and prevent the green water then you can save your money. A 3-4 day total back out of the tank should kill off the bloom.

If you try a black out you have to cover the tank completely where no light at all can get in. It also means no peeking or you break the no light cycle. While this method can work don't be alarmed if the bloom returns. All the free floating algae has to die off for the bloom not to return.

Ive been wanting to get one but until i can what else can i try?

From what I understand, algae blooms will eventually clear up on their own. Mine did. I do have a UV sterilizer, but I only run it occasionally.

Good luck-D

Ok ty everyone,i appreciate all the advice

Bacterial blooms usually go away on their own, green water algae blooms rarely ever do.

Bacterial blooms usually go away on their own, green water algae blooms rarely ever do.

Ah, I've learned another thing. And how can you tell the difference? Is there a noticeably green tint to the water if it's an algae bloom versus bacterial bloom?

Back
Top Bottom