cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beginer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
My planted tank finished cycle 3 weeks ago, now water suddenly becomes cloudy. This is due to bacteria blooming ? There is no foods left over. No dead fishes in the tank. Water change 20% every week, 33 Gal.
Thanks.

I some changed water today. Water is slightly green and cloudy, probably... algae problem!

I also had cloudy water, and nothing would get rid of it until I bought the Vortex Diatom filter. A UV Sterilizer will work too.

Unfortunately, the UV light will also oxidize trace elements needed by the plants and will limit the plant's growth potential. I wish it were that easy as we would all have algae free tanks.

If you are having green water problems you can do what 80gJoe suggested and get a diatom filter. Or if you have a Magnum Canister filter you can use that as a diatom filter. Check out this link http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=3250 to see how it is done. Green water can also be cleared by using micron cartridges to filter the water.

I actually think your best bet is to find out why you have green water. It cropped up all of a sudden when you did your water change? The water is milky white and green? How long do you leave your lights on and what is the power of your lights?

Good advice/questions from Biggen.

Just one other thing I'd like to add. GW frequently crops up if you re-arrange the plants. the substrate is disturbed, releasing nutrients (either ferts. you have put there, or even just fish waste) into the water column. Then those little single cell agae have a ton of food to eat and they go to town!

Diatom filtration is far and away the best answer to GW.

Thanks for advices. I turn light up for 9hrs a day.
Yes, I did re-arrange plants and water became green within a day, that was fast. So far I haven't done anything, except water changed...
If I cover the tank completely dark for 5 days as Corvuscorax said ..I think all the plants will be die. Diatom filtration is the last resort, it costs time and money though.

If I cover the tank completely dark for 5 days as Corvuscorax said ..I think all the plants will be die.

I did the 5 day blackout one time. Nothing died. Plants got pale and elongated, but no plants or fish died.

However, see if your lfs rents diatom filters, some do. if you can rent one for a day, it should clear up your problem.

Back
Top Bottom