Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlrust1816

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so my tank is perpetually cloudy and green. The glass is free of algea but there is algae on the rocks of the substrate, also I have a pleco and a snail.

I have used the clear water tablets and they have not helped, I also have used algae clear tablets which help but the cloudiness ultimately returns.

I have also substantially reduced the amount of light that it recieves, it sits near a window that faces the south but the shades are always down and I havent even turned on the tank light for weeks and the cloudiness still doesnt go away

The fish seem fine, they show no signs of strees

What can I do to get my tank to clear up

You could black out the tank. Cover it in a blanket or two so that no light gets through. Leave it that way for 3 or 4 days. No peeking, no feeding etc. Dont worry your fish will be fine. After the blackout is over do a large water change 75% or so. Your green water should be gone. Of course if it comes back you will have to figure out the cause. Stop using those chemicals they dont work and I can believe they are all that good for the fish.

What are you test levels?

Reduce the amount of food, do deep gravel vacs to reduce the amount of debris in the gravel, and completly cover the window. You more than likely have an algae bloom due to excessive phosphates. Perform several large water changes to help reduce the level.

I agree with Rich, stop using any kind of chemicals that claim to eliminate algae or cloudy water. They don't work. Instead they mask the problem and are an unncessary expense.

Back
Top Bottom