Cloudy water after a pwc??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all....

Got a question that I'm a little curious about. I do 50% pwc weekly on my 20 gall tank, thoroughly vacuuming the gravel each time. I use the Python to do the changes. I've noticed that immediately after the pwc the water is a little hazy/cloudy. The fish don't seem affected by it in the least, they just love the water changes. The haziness/cloudiness clears up within several hours but I'm just wondering if anyone else notices this or if it's something I should be concerned about?

The tank is fully cycled, stocked with 5 Platies, 8 Lemon Tetras, and 2 Dwarf Gourami (soon to be one--one is going to a new home).

Any ideas on this? Thanks!

Sometimes depending on the amount of things stirred up from the gravel or sand, the tank can get cloudy. If your water parameters are normal don't worry about it. NH3 0 ppm, NO2 0 ppm, NH3 10 ppm or a bit more.

Checked all the parameters before and after the most recent pwc.....all good. NH3 and NO2 are both 0. My Nitrates have not been much higher than 5 ppm so far--I guess because I change so much water (??).

Thanks much!

Your Nitrates could also be low because you have a low bioload. My 55 gal tank normally stays at 5 ppm Nitrates and that's only doing a 10% water change each week. I'm not sure on your inhabitants, but that could be why.

Actually, I kind of wondered about that. I was worried that I was overstocked but would love to add a few more Tetras if it wouldn't upset the balance too much. I currently have 5 Platies, 8 Lemon Tetras, and a Dwarf Gourami.

My tank is always cloudy for about 10 minutes after a water change. It is always crystal clear again within 20 minutes of the change. That is totally normal.

If it clears up within a few hours like you say, the cloudiness is just dissolved gases coming out of the water. You probably also notice tiny bubbles on the glass and decorations too. Totally normal after a PWC.

Back
Top Bottom