cloudy water after water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chad C

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I know you've all probably seen many other threads like this one but, ive been unable to find someone with the exact same problem due to the exact same reasons. Water cloudiness can be tricky to diagnose so I decided to post my own thread, so... here goes.

First off, I have a 55gal freshwater tank (3 months old). I run 2 AquaClear 50's for my filtration. I use pool filter sand as a substrate. My deco consists of one very large piece of driftwood, 2 slate rocks, one terracotta pot, a coconut halve, and various fake plants (I know... I know...)

Community:
2 angel fish
2 bolivian rams
4 rummynose tetra
5 corydora
1 pleco
2 clown loaches
1 gold gourami
1 platy

Current water perimeters:

pH - 6.7
Ammonia - 0.18'ish (small spike)
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - between 40-50 ppm

I did a 50% water change 4 days ago and on day 5, I still have have gray cloudy water (I'm assuming bacterial bloom). I did thoroughly rinse ONE of the aquaclear's media in tank water that I had just removed and added new carbon. I left the other filter untouched. I use Prime as a water conditioner. One thing may not even be relevant is that I've been feeding with cucumber recently and have noticed that a couple of the seeds are caught in the filter intake but hasn't interruped the flow. I have also noticed that since the water change the water evaporation is quicker than normal I've lost about an inch and a half in 4 days (it has, however, been pretty warm the last few days.. could be why)

Anxiously awaiting your expert advice. Really worried about my fish ; (

Thanks,

Chad

Cloudy Tank Water

Hello Chad...

Your tank hasn't been running long, just give it time. The water is still in the settling process. My 55 G tank took easily 6 months for the water to clear. Sandy substrate, it seems, can never be rinsed enough. The slightest disturbance in the water will raise more dust particles in the water. Water changes will definitely move the water around, but they're important to the health of your tank. Frequent water changes keep the water chemistry stable.

I use a thick poly fiber in my HOB filters. Acurel makes a good product. The fiber attracts and holds the tiny floating particles that float around making the water hazy.

The tank is probably open to the air in some places, so with the temps rising this time of year, you'll notice more evaporation. I top off my tanks a couple of times a week.

I'd get some floating plants into the tank too. Anacharis and Pennywort are my favorites. They'll help filter the tank water.

Just a few thoughts.

B

I should have mentioned before.. cloudy water wasn't a problem until I did the water change..

Back
Top Bottom