Cloudy water and a dead fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hrafnkel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a ten gallon tank currently stocked with 7 (formerly eight) fish; 3 small tetras, 3 cories, and one dojo loach (still small, gunna move him out when he gets bigger). Previously, there was also a small common goldfish in the tank, that was dead when I got up this morning. The body showed no sign of disease or violence from other fish, and all other fish are behaving normally. The water has gotten somewhat cloudy over the past two or three days for unknown reasons, but is currently improving due to a 2 gallon water change that I just finished with. What could be the cause of the cloudiness and the death of the goldfish?

Harfnkel Welcome to AA!!! 8)

How long has the tank been setup? Also it is not good to mix goldfish with other tropical fish. Goldfish have a very high ammonia output. Do you have a test kit? If so what are your water parameters at? We need a little more info about your setup.

My ammonia is pretty low, currently. The goldfish was initially just a starter fish, actually, but he's gone now so his ammonia output won't be an issue. However, I believe that he might have had an ailment that has been in his system since he was purchased, because there were a few times when he had a trail coming off of his abdomen. The tank's been set up for about 2 weeks, now. I don't have a test kit yet, but the ammonia has been treated.

Cycling a FW tropical tank with a goldfish is not a real good idea IMO. You should only cycle with the fish that you want or intend to keep at the end of the cycle. What have you treated your tank with for the ammonia? You really need a test kit so that you can keep up with your cycle and water changes. If you dont have a test kit some of the LFS will test your water for free. You might want to try that.

What did you put into the water to control the ammonia. This could be an issue when it comes to the tank cycle. It has the potently to hinder the cycle.

C-100. It's a small pillow-esque object that goes in the filter, supposedly to absorb ammonia. Should I remove it?

the bacteria that is created in the cycle lives off of ammonia, removing the ammonia with a media defeats the point of cycling the tank...

I've been through the cycling process before I found AA and know that lack of information can cost you many fish. I'd recommend getting a master test kit and doing pwc's every few days to help reduce the stress on the fish. Also search this site for cycling fish, there are some fantastic articles and posts that will help you tons!

And welcome to AA, the best fish forum on the net. (No I'm not biased, I've just gotten so much help here. :lol: )

I would assume that the amount of fish in the tank and the high output of ammonia from the goldfish probably killed it. The cloudiness is most likely a bacterial bloom, this is from the cycling of the tank and it's nothing to worry about, it will go away on its own. But get yourself a Master Test Kit and do daily water testing. It is very important during the cycling stage to test the water. Or, you could take water samples to the lfs every day. If you don't have a test kit to test for ammonia, then there is no way to tell if it is under control. Don't use any kind of chemicals or pads that claim to reduce ammonia. They are not needed. The ammonia will work itself out of the tank after it is cycled.

Back
Top Bottom