Clown loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad dog fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anyone please tell me what the minimum number of clown loaches is. I'm thinking about getting some.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes 5+ (more is better, I saw a clear change in activity with increasing numbers).
Same thing for the tank, biggest you can fit in. 5-6ft by 2+

They can reach a foot and more but it takes a while getting there!
My biggest is under 20cm/8" and that has taken 9 years plus whatever age the fish was before I got it. 5+years from now and I should see a full size one.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92891884@N04/13254225313/
(The Big D, clown loach)

You can get away with a smaller size tank for a few years but if you already know you want clowns, you may as well cut out the middle man. They will grow.

So five is a good number- my tank is 3ft long with other fish in it. Would you both still recommend five? I don't want to over crowd my tank.

So five is a good number- my tank is 3ft long with other fish in it. Would you both still recommend five? I don't want to over crowd my tank.

Nope, personally wouldnt put loaches in anything less than 90. These fish get big, five 1foot fish in an aquarium less than 90 sounds crounded.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

5 is the acceptable minimum, more is where you should be aiming.

5 juvenile clowns 2-3" long in your 36" tank would be fine for about 3 years.
(Depends on what else you have in with them but as they get bigger they'll take a bigger demand on the system, eventually feeding them will over power filter capacity)

You will end up with uncontrollable nitrogenous wastes that could kill everything, normal for overstocked systems.

They are not 1ft at purchase, if you really want these fish make sure you can afford the future care of a bigger tank and the annual food bill.
Even 5 clowns will eat a fair bit and they like bloodworms, virtually daily.
Allow 45 packs bloodworm plus additional frozen/dry foodstuffs per year.
That's based on my food order, I get 100 packs bloodworm for 11 fish, I think the clowns do 90 packs in 12 months or so.
(It's cheaper to buy bulk and store on site, so you'll need a freezer or a big wallet)

In 2018 you must have a big tank big tank because in 2025 you will still have clown loaches, the same ones you get next week. Anywhere past 2028 you will have fish getting on for a foot if they've been allowed to grow properly ie not stunted from an inadequate size tank. Somewhere past 2035 this experience will end, the low end life expectancy is 20 years 30+ has been documented but is not so common.

My genuine advice at this point is,
Get a tank suitable for the long term care of these fish, design the tank specifically around the care of these fish. Stock up to just under max cap at full grown size.
Add a small algae eater to save some in tank maintenance time.

Sit back and enjoy the ride, it will be busy but you will be rewarded everyday and night by the clowns enjoying life. It really is worth the time and money. Once you are set up, they are good fish to keep, keep on top of the water and they don't get ill but being scaleless they do need extra effort for water quality. They will forgive you a little mistake from time to time but don't make a habit of it!

They are good fish, a little more shy than a clown but they only get to be 4-5" maybe just a touch longer. Much less mass vs a similar length clown.
(Lots of beady eyes under a log and then a massive mad half hour, I had mine in a 36" and gave them to my mate as I moved, I really couldn't keep them, he/she (they) had a 4ft x15" but double deep tank, the fish really came alive in that tank, maybe a 36" isn't quite enough, but that's my opinion based on my experience with the yo yo, they lived ok but they seemed happier with more space)

They are a great fish in a shoal, you'd be happy with 6-8 of those with no real need for an upgrade. Yes I'd say they are happier in a bigger tank but mine did ok for 3-6 years. Just with loads of clean water and some extra flow (basically one extra water change a week and an internal filter or power head along side your main filter)
They are more drab though being a sandy colour all over with brownish lines all over.
An even smaller good botiid is B.striata, more striking than the yo yo. Good snailer slightly more aggressive/territorial, Much smaller.
Seen, like, want, watched in captivity, but were in 40-48" tank.
They seemed to be enjoying themselves! But that's just loaches!

Slightly jealous D, I know you have some great fish in your tank!
I miss mine.

Back
Top Bottom