CO2 Diffuser issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pleechford

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, so i just set up my CO2 systyem. I have a milwaukee ma 957 regulator, a 5lb tanl and a boyu co-150 diffuser. I have set my bubble counter to about 2 bubbles per second and i barely see bubbles if any coming out. Everything is brand new. Does anyone know what to do about this issue? Also how many bubbles per second do I need for a 25 gallon aquarium? Thanks!

If there is no tiny bubbles coming out the top of the diffuser, you more than likely have a leak somewhere between you CO2 tank and the diffuser.

You can check for leaks several ways. Most people get a squirt bottle and fill it with water and a small amount of dish soap. Being VERY CAREFUL not to get any soap in the aquarium, squirt the soap mixture on your check valve. If you see bubbling, you know the leak is there.

If no bubbles, go back and gently squirt the bubble counter and other componants to find where the leak is.

Seal as is appropriate.

blert said:
Is this your broken diffuser?

Do you have a drop checker?

Yeah it's my broken one but I used silicone and it sealed it, no leaks from it.

mudraker said:
If there is no tiny bubbles coming out the top of the diffuser, you more than likely have a leak somewhere between you CO2 tank and the diffuser.

You can check for leaks several ways. Most people get a squirt bottle and fill it with water and a small amount of dish soap. Being VERY CAREFUL not to get any soap in the aquarium, squirt the soap mixture on your check valve. If you see bubbling, you know the leak is there.

If no bubbles, go back and gently squirt the bubble counter and other componants to find where the leak is.

Seal as is appropriate.

Done deal. No leaks!! Should there be a lot or a little bubbles around 2 bubbles per second? I just don't know what to expect. When I bump it up to 5 bubbles per second or so I have a good amount of bubbles.

At five bubbles per second, you are at high risk of depriving the fish (if you have any) of oxygen.

Most consider three bps to be the optimum count.

As long as there is something coming out of the diffuser, your plants will benefit.

I have issues with CO2 overdosing at 3 bps in my tank. There is no recommended BPS.

Have you tried increasing the pressure? Depending on the diffuser type, you might need to build up some pressure.

The best option to find the amount of CO2 flow you need is start low (1 bps or so) and slowly bring it up until your drop checker turns green and stays there.

aqua_chem said:
I have issues with CO2 overdosing at 3 bps in my tank. There is no recommended BPS.

Have you tried increasing the pressure? Depending on the diffuser type, you might need to build up some pressure.

The best option to find the amount of CO2 flow you need is start low (1 bps or so) and slowly bring it up until your drop checker turns green and stays there.

How would I build up pressure? Turn the valve up to a higher psi and use my needle valve for adjustments? The psi on the gauge on the right is at 20 should I increase it? I just do not want to mess anything up

So I found out t diffuser was broken internally ( one that has a spiral in the center of it) And for some reason was not building up pressure in the diffuser. Only if I increased the bubbles per second by maybe 5-7 I would see anything come out of the diffuser. So I went on eBay and purchased another. This time I got one that is less complicated, hence less resistance in the lines. I will give an update when my new diffuser comes in!

Back
Top Bottom