Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-04-2015, 05:44 PM   #1
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan
Posts: 4,219
Collecting live foods

I did a little poking around a few more snow melt ponds today to see if anything has started to populate them yet, so that I can boost my cultures. I found daphnia, fairy shrimp, cyclops and surprisingly, mosquito larvae http://rs719.pbsrc.com/albums/ww194/...28.jpg~320x480

This is where I collected them http://rs719.pbsrc.com/albums/ww194/...36.jpg~320x480 The pond is about 6-10" deep with a lot of leaf litter and remnants of long grass on the bottom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

__________________
Gillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
I did a little poking around a few more snow melt ponds today to see if anything has started to populate them yet, so that I can boost my cultures. I found daphnia, fairy shrimp, cyclops and surprisingly, mosquito larvae http://rs719.pbsrc.com/albums/ww194/...28.jpg~320x480

This is where I collected them http://rs719.pbsrc.com/albums/ww194/...36.jpg~320x480 The pond is about 6-10" deep with a lot of leaf litter and remnants of long grass on the bottom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That looks awesome! I need to go down to a pond near me and see what I can see. I bet you can really see a difference when you feed them foods like that!
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,175
This is what my daughter at MSU did for me today:

__________________
TheresaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan
Posts: 4,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaM View Post
This is what my daughter at MSU did for me today:

Awesome! Get anything good?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Gillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
Awesome! Get anything good?
They'll be flying back here tomorrow! I think she got 3 or 4 bottles for me.
__________________
TheresaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Austin texas
Posts: 529
Gillie do you have any experience with black darter tetra? Seems like they come from South America...similar requirements with Apistos but I'm unsure if they are nippy and aggressive

Sorry about being off topic but I figured you'd know


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
michellev512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:26 PM   #7
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan
Posts: 4,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellev512 View Post
Gillie do you have any experience with black darter tetra? Seems like they come from South America...similar requirements with Apistos but I'm unsure if they are nippy and aggressive

Sorry about being off topic but I figured you'd know


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
As a matter of fact I have a pair that I am planning to spawn. They do occupy the same territory as apistos and they are a cave spawner so they should not be kept together unless in a larger tank. I wouldn't do more than 1 male per 5 gallons(with pleny of sight breaks)as they will fight pretty aggressively. A male will spawn with multiple females in the same cave. Besides the territorial thing they are quite passive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Gillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:29 PM   #8
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan
Posts: 4,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichir Bro View Post
That looks awesome! I need to go down to a pond near me and see what I can see. I bet you can really see a difference when you feed them foods like that!
Make sure it is a pond with no fish so that you find better numbers without having to worry about diseases. A good tip is, if the water contains fairy shrimp, then there are no fish present.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Gillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
Make sure it is a pond with no fish so that you find better numbers without having to worry about diseases. A good tip is, if the water contains fairy shrimp, then there are no fish present.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah I just went down to it and there was lots of minnows, frogs and crawfish. Oh texas. I'll keep lookin. Thanks for the tip!
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:54 PM   #10
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan
Posts: 4,219
I found a new pond today, it was about 2 miles back in the woods, it was 10" deep and chock full of fairy shrimp, daphnia and a few salamander larvae http://rs719.pbsrc.com/albums/ww194/...09.jpg~320x480 the water was so stained with tannins that it looked red.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Gillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishobsessed7's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1,816
Cool!


Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)
__________________
Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing!


Fishobsessed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
fish wrangler's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NE Illinois
Posts: 4,146
Wait I can feed my fish mosquito larvae I find outside?! Mosquitos may have just gotten a little bit better lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
3 tanks
a 29 gallon high tech planted Chasing Red, a 20 long low tech, and a 75 gallon salty adventure
fish wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:01 AM   #13
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan
Posts: 4,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish wrangler View Post
Wait I can feed my fish mosquito larvae I find outside?! Mosquitos may have just gotten a little bit better lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
You should see the looks I get when people hear that I purposely leave a tub outside for mosquitoes

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
__________________
Gillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:02 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
You should see the looks I get when people hear that I purposely leave a tub outside for mosquitoes

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure that can get you a hefty ticket in my part of Texas.
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:09 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
fish wrangler's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NE Illinois
Posts: 4,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
You should see the looks I get when people hear that I purposely leave a tub outside for mosquitoes

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
I won't go that far but a smallish bin will be left out this summer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
3 tanks
a 29 gallon high tech planted Chasing Red, a 20 long low tech, and a 75 gallon salty adventure
fish wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
food, live, live food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flowerhorn seller here also sell flowerhorn foods and cichlid foods if needed ernest6646 Cichlid Discussion 1 05-23-2014 03:08 AM
Raising or collecting Live Rock Live Coral Live Fish? ted Saltwater Reef Aquaria 2 01-16-2013 11:18 PM
collecting live sand mupwi Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 5 09-19-2010 03:51 PM
need info on live foods and frozen foods Derdy88 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 6 08-12-2008 10:31 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.