Cory cat concern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have three Cory cats, two of which are perfectly fine. One spent several hours last night going crazy getting air all the time. This morning just now, he went up and went overly spastic for air and now is on my plant sitting kinda sideways on a leaf and a branch beside it. His tail is pinker than the others, too (albinos). Is he okay?

Now that I spent forever waiting on my phone to post this, he's no longer in the plant, but has gone MIA. He didn't jump out; I have a lid and I would've heard him flopping. But I can't find him in there.

Hiding is not uncharacteristic for Cory cats. It sounds cliche, but an additional water change could not hurt at this point. None real way to diagnose what's going good on, just try to treat the best you can. You would be amazed what host of problems can be fixed with a few additional water changes.

I'll change the water this afternoon since I have class here soon I need to leave for. He came out for a minute but now he's MIA again. And this was the hyper one that needed Paxil.

BettaGal said:
And he's dead. Are they territorial? I can get a new one tomorrow but I don't wanna get a new one if all they'll do is fight.

Cories need schools of six
They are commonly referred to as THE most peaceful freshwater fish
IME, they are. All mine do is eat, nap, play, and they always swim out of the way of other fish.

Psht. Aren't you lucky? The one that keeled over and was the one giving me a reason to worry was the one that repeatedly hit my gourami in he face, even flipped him upside-down once. That is, until Torch had enough and bit Spazzo. No damage was done. Just enough bite to say "Don't touch me again". And Spazzo listened as far as I could tell. Torch was bigger and badder. Okay then. Apparently I get to go fish shopping again.

My Cory jumped into a breeder net of newborn guppies. All she did was lay there, didn't hurt a single one. There was one sleeping next to her mouth.

I gotta agree with that too an even remotely aggressive Cory is almost unheard of. That's why I love them so much! I don't think he did it on purpose

Probably not. He was very, very, very, very, very, very hyper. He was doing it in the bag when I bought the four of them, and he didn't really stop once he was in the 10-gal. They all were shocked at the size of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom