Cowns. Don't shoot me. Please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We took the plunge. We picked up 3 two inch clowns. Right now they're going in to a 55g with mostly bottom feeders except for one angel fish and two danios. Our plan is to move them to the 120g at work once they out grow this set up (hopefully killing all the snails here in the process) and then if they out grow the 120 we can always use a good excuse to get the 180 going again even if it is just in the garage. And from there...300g???

The 55 is running two Marine land emperor 2000 hob plus a canister. And is very heavily planted. Are we good here for a few months? Or are there any upgrades needed to manage the bio load?

I'm going to move the 4 albino Cory cats at the water change and that will leave (8 or so?) khuli loaches-maybe more they're hard to keep track of, one palm sized angel and the two danios.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

We took the plunge. We picked up 3 two inch clowns. Right now they're going in to a 55g with mostly bottom feeders except for one angel fish and two danios. Our plan is to move them to the 120g at work once they out grow this set up (hopefully killing all the snails here in the process) and then if they out grow the 120 we can always use a good excuse to get the 180 going again even if it is just in the garage. And from there...300g???

The 55 is running two Marine land emperor 2000 hob plus a canister. And is very heavily planted. Are we good here for a few months? Or are there any upgrades needed to manage the bio load?

I'm going to move the 4 albino Cory cats at the water change and that will leave (8 or so?) khuli loaches-maybe more they're hard to keep track of, one palm sized angel and the two danios.

They are known to be VERY slow growers so honestly you could be fine in the 55 gallon for 2-3 years if you had to. The 120 will be enough for them in the future as a permanent home. (y)

You're good. Clown loaches are pretty slow growers so they won't be contributing massively to your 55g bioload anytime soon. Sounds like you have a good plan for them in the future too.

Agreed with what's been said. You got a few years before you need an upgrade honestly.

Caleb

You're overstocked:p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks every one for the reassurance

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437776004.021332.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437776004.021332.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 83
3 is a good minimum but I personally would add 2 or 3 more. I feel comfortable telling you this because I know how you take care of your fish and you have the 180 already. The more the merrier with them. Their awesome entertainment too

Noo, i think you're good!! So long as this is a temporary situation. 6 would be better; )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

3 is a good minimum but I personally would add 2 or 3 more. The more the merrier with them. Their awesome entertainment too

(y)^+1^(y)

99907-albums14345-picture69024.jpg

My 11 clowns loving their 180.
It is theirs!!:cool:
Definitely get more!
Most people shy away from clowns,so I congratulate you on an excellent fish choice.
Mine are between 10-15 years old so I hope they acclimate well to your tank(they are "bullet proof " after) and you enjoy for a good long time!

(y)^+1^(y)

Definitely get more!
Most people shy away from clowns,so I congratulate you on an excellent fish choice.
Mine are between 10-15 years old so I hope they acclimate well to your tank(they are "bullet proof " after) and you enjoy for a good long time!

That is just friggin AWESOME!

Thank god, for a minute there I thought she meant Clown Fish. Whew!!

Arghhhhhh! No. Salt water scares me. I should have been more clear though.

3 is a good minimum but I personally would add 2 or 3 more. I feel comfortable telling you this because I know how you take care of your fish and you have the 180 already. The more the merrier with them. Their awesome entertainment too

The LFS guy had 5 total we took 3 thinking they would already make us over stocked but I can always run back and get the other two. Good idea? Or wait a week or so to let the bacteria catch up?

(y)^+1^(y)

Definitely get more!

They are stunning! 11 sounds like SUCH a big number! But I bet that is a fun tank to watch!

They hide most of the time so I'm sure adding to the numbers will help. They also like to hang out with the khulis. I saw all three clown loaches go in to the pvc pipe and then saw like four khuli heads pop out of the other side look around and then go back in. They must all be smushed! There are two other pipes but all the loaches are together crammed in one.

Back
Top Bottom