Crabs in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blkstar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I have a new tank and I wanted to put some Red crabs or Red-claw shrilanka crabs in it. Will the crabs eat the fish? What kind of fish can I get or should I just rule the crabs out? Fresh water tropical 28gal, real plants. Thank you for your input.

What kind of fish do you want to have in there? If you want fast, active fish (like Danios / Tetras) you should be fine to put the crabs in- but if you want any bottom dwellers (like Loaches / Catfish) or if you want any fish with large flowing fins (slow), then the crabs will think they are nice shiny targets for pinching!
I would stay away from crabs just for the potiential fin nipping- if you want something other than fish in there, I would look into the African Dwarf Frog (you can find out info on them at: http://www.petfish.net/afrogs.htm). These frogs can even live with Bettas- and they are very interesting to watch- just be sure you have live worms for them to eat!
Good luck with your tank setup!

Back
Top Bottom