Cracked Snail Shell????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppy12

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was looking at me 20 and my apple snail was munching on an algae pellet, i noticed his shell was cracked.
i couldn't think of how he cracked his shell... maybe from riding up on my bubble disk and fliping and then hitting mt driftwood.
Could i silicone it or what?
thanks
G12

I would avoid silicone because it takes a very long time to cure; all the while it emits toxic acetic acid.

If the crack is near the snail's foot, it should heal on its own. A calcium source such as small piece of cuttlebone will help speed things. Just be sure to monitor your water hardness and pH i fyou use the cuttlebone.

Cracks and holes nearer the top of the shell might not heal. I've read that using quick drying epoxy is a possible repair strategy. You don't need much and it can be applied with a Q-tip.

The only way to repair it it to get another piece of shell or some eggshell and glue the shell to the snails shell. No adhesive of any kind can touch the snails body.

Here's a good site that talks about shell damage and how to repair it if needed.
http://www.rainbowsnails.com/onlinestore/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=10

I'm not sure if you could use silicone instead of the epoxy they talk about on this site.

is it chipped, or is it pitted from lack of calcium?

Back
Top Bottom