Daily feeding of fish in the morning or at night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dnaelting

Aquarium Advice Activist
OK, I have decided to go to once daily feeding for my community tank. Is it better to feed the fish in the morning, or at night, or does it matter at all. :?:

I know the pleco will get fed at night, after lights out. But what is best for his tankmates. They are: Rainbows, Swordtails, Corys, and Gourami.

The Guppy tank will stay with 2xdaily feeding, due to the fry in the tank.

Thanks in advance for your input.

:)

Me too - do whatever fits your routine. I like to wait a little bit after lights on in the morning for the fish to get their bearings and resume their behaviors. I also don't like to feed too close to lights out, probably my own personal dislike of going to sleep on a full stomach. I wait for lights out before feeding my nocturnals, natch.

well i usually feed in the evening and drop in some algae wafers before lights out
i also add a piece of zucchini in my veg clip about every other day in the evening.. moslty becuase im not awake during the day... lol

if you feed them at night most say leave the lights on for like 30 mins after feed them so they can finish up all of it.....good luck!!

I feed mine at night, usually right after I've had my dinner and before I do dishes. This gives them an hour or two (depending on weeknight or weekend) of light to eat up the food and then swim around before lights out.

So it's usually around 6 PM when I feed mine, and then lights go out around 7/8. If I know I'm going to be gone all afternoon/night a particular day, I will feed them just before I leave (ie: as late as I possibly can). Then I make Mom come down to my apartment and shut the lights off for me. :) I don't trust her to feed them -- she overfeeds all her pond fish!

Thanks for all the great input. Have to figure out which of us gets the fun of feeding the fish. I will arm wrestle the wife for it... :wink:

I fnd that if I try to feed some of my fish too late they wont eat (like my betta) but for the most part it doesn't seem to matter really so long as they get fed.

Back
Top Bottom