Danio just disappeared

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mctypething

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm not sure how this is possible, but one of my zebra danios has literally disappeared. There is no dead carcas in the tank and I checked all around the tank to see if he jumped out. The only other fish I have that could maybe even attempt to eat him are Angels, but I thought they and danios were compatible.

Where could this thing be?

the angels could have eaten it, it could be in the filter, it could be under something, or if its been missing for a while, your nitrifying bacteria could have done its job well...

In your angels belly ;). Seriously, there are a lot of fish species that are compatible, however once you get them in the tank there personalities are opposite of what they are supposed to be. Angels can and some will eat anything that will fit into there mouths. I have never had a problem with mine in that regard. It could have also jumped out of the tank, did you search the floor around it?

What other fish do you have in the tank?

A short story. I had 2 8 plus inch oscars that I housed with sailfin mollies, danios, and tiger barbs. They all got along beautifuly. After a housesitter completely screwed up one of my tanks while we were away for a week, one of my oscars passed away, then my jack dempsey decided to kill my other one. We replaced these oscars with a few baby ones. When the baby oscars got to be about 4 inches, my danios dissappeared, then my tiger barbs disappeared. In short, the one set of oscars was fine with other fish, but these aren't.

I have 3 danios, 3 angels, 4 Cory's, 1 oto, 2 swordtails. I checked all over inside the tank and all over outside the tank. I don't see how it could be in the filter because I don't see how it would fit in the intake tube housing. I guess the angels did eat it, but they've all been in the tank together for months. Why would he decide to eat him now?

Do you have an young angel that is maturing? There personalities can change as they reach maturity. Or, it could be a case of the angel not knowing it could eat it, then one day the light bulb came on and it found a tasty treat.

Back
Top Bottom