Dark julidochromis coloration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I have a 3 inch juli In a rocky and well planted ten gallon

Hie has been in this home for almost a month now and he has become a very dark color

His belly is now black-brown as well

He is a male

Is this normal mature coloration?

An I doing something wrong???

I have no idea about julidochromis. They're beautiful, though. I do know and have seen that my fish certainly darken up as I get them home and as they settle into a new enviro, most notably with my kribensis and Bolivians.
Stress and water params can also affect this. If your water params are good, I'd assume it's just the fish darkening up. It may be good to google about, as well, and take a look at some pictures to see if everything looks alright.

Here are some pics

Attachments

• image-3063463981.jpg
    image-3063463981.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 49
  • image-915893519.jpg
    image-915893519.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 56
  • image-1104680759.jpg
    image-1104680759.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 50
  • image-644574181.jpg
    image-644574181.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 50
  • image-2397145116.jpg
    image-2397145116.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 53
Here are some pics

Hhmmm... Not sure but that does seem quite dark. Good to post photos as you may get some better feedback than what I can give. I know my kribs look nothing like what they looked like when I first got them and are definitely darker. When they get stressed out by other fish and changes in enviro they get even darker.

I did some research and the transcriptus variety are supposed to always have white bellys...so, is this even the right juli?'i know there are 5 varieties.

In terms of stress the tank is near a door .though i have gotten the family members to actually CLOSE and not SLAM the door.

I did some research and the transcriptus variety are supposed to always have white bellys...so, is this even the right juli?'i know there are 5 varieties.

In terms of stress the tank is near a door .though i have gotten the family members to actually CLOSE and not SLAM the door.

I see what you mean. (I do social science research for a living so can't help but get the urge to search things out!). I am not seeing one that looks as dark as yours, though. I would guess, then, it may be another variety. Marlier's variety?

Back
Top Bottom