Dead Gorami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starfrog32

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had more trouble with our tank in the last 3 days then I've had in the last 3 months. It started with a goldfish (I did not put him there) munching on our neon tetras. Now tonight, two days later our next largest fish, the gourami, I found floating on it's side in the bottom of the tank.

Now, we did change the filter 2 or 3 days ago. Also I wasn't around all day to watch what was going on in the tank, so I don't know how long the gourami was dead. I know, everyone out there is shouting "TEST THE WATER" which i would, if it weren't 11pm, in a small podunk town. It is, however, the first thing I'll do tomorrow.

Now, I've had a pretty good run in the 3 months of having this tank set-up. Only lost 2 tetras, a goldfish (not the tetra monster), and a danio due to it's own fault.

Is there something I should have looked for in the case of the gourami, other then a water-test, to help me figure out what went wrong?

The three occasions I've had dead fish was because of fighting. I've got a guppy who has beaten up and killed any other guppy I've put in the tank. I lost an albino catfish because the bigger sailfin plec catfish beat him up and chased him off the food.

Do your other fish look ok?

How long had you had the gourami? My sister had two die within days of buying them. There wasn't any explanation. The third and fourth gouramis she got have been fine and are thriving.

She a spell when of a lot of fish died which we put down to a lot of vibrations and noise in the house because of building work. Our llittle fishy friends can be sensitive to that kind of thing. :(

I've seen a female molly die because she was being harrassed by a male molly (If you get my drift). Having two or three females per male seemed to sort this one out.

We only had one gourami, and we really don't have any others big enough to harrass it.

We've had the gourami for, I guess, over a month.

As for noise, it's a pretty quiet place, no construction, and there tends to be alot of white noise in the room, due to the tank and two computers. (It's a large room, with enough space and climate control, so no worries on too much heat)

All the other fish look fine, though now over half our tank is Zebra Dainos.

Back
Top Bottom