Decorations chipping paint?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toker95

Aquarium Advice Regular
Howdy folks,

A couple months ago I purchased some rather large decorations for my 72gl Bow, and within a couple weeks, the large castle's paint was loosely chipping to the touch. After a couple more weeks, its chipping quite freely on its own, enough that I've removed it from the tank. I'm fearful some of my fish might think its a snack.

The seller (thatfishplace.com, love the store, can't say enough good about it) is freely willing to credit me for the $50 spent, but now I've noticed a second decoration doing it.

Anyone ever have something like this happen? I've got a pair of large angels, a couple gourami, a half dozen Platy's, A gold nugget Pleco, a fair amount of MTS, and a few recently uninvited baby size apple snails. My far out hunch is maybe the MTS are weakening the paints bond to the decoration?

I feel required to research this before I go to the reseller and claim its a defective product. It just seems too high odds, that 2 out of 3 completely different ornaments (large ones at that) would be suffering the same defect.

note - picture available upon request.

I have an ornament doing the same thing.... havent taken it back yet. wondering is the paint toxic to fish... have quite a few dollars worth of fish in the tank. I would be very upset if my clown plec died. :(

I haven't seen an ornament that didn't do that. I've got ornaments that do that and have had no problems with the fish.

All my resin ornaments did that and eventually looked so crappy, I just ditched them. Such a shame because these things look so realistic and are so expensive. Now, I stick to 100% natural materials like wood and stone.

Every painted plastic decoration I have ever had has eventually lost at least some of its paint.

Yep, I spent quite a bit on some decorations when I first started my 55 gallon, only to have a similar problem. My paint just faded, but didn't chip- of course that isn't much better and it still looked totally crappy so I took it out. I'm with QTOFFER on this one, I stick to wood and rock now. I've found it's a lot cheaper anyway.

Back
Top Bottom