Denison Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bud29

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all, I went to petsmart yesterday and saw some denison barbs. The information card said the minimum tank size for them is 29 gallons. Is this true? I have hard they grew up to 6 inches and are very active! If I could get some in my 30 gallon that would be great, I love their color, but I am not sure if I could properly house them in a 30.

I wouldn't trust petsmart. They say to put a koi for life in a twenty. But that may be just mine. I wouldn't do anything under 55.

I wouldn't trust petsmart. They say to put a koi for life in a twenty. But that may be just mine. I wouldn't do anything under 55.

+1 .. For Denison Barbs you want a 48 inch long tank ... They can get up to 6 inches and are very active. My three Denisons are in the three inch range and they cover my tank in no time.

Alright. I know what you mean, they say red tail tinfoil barbs can be in a 55 gallon......

NO WAY LOL...the tinfoils get between 8-12 inches long. I made this mistake when I was a rookie and put 3 of them in a 55 gallon. I ended up giving them away for free to someone who had a 125 gallon tank.

If you like the denisons, check out the Odessa barbs, also really colorful but stay a little smaller. They get around 3''

Roseline barbs are schoolers, very active, and are large. I read they need a tank at least 100 gallons.

bettaowner said:
Roseline barbs are schoolers, very active, and are large. I read they need a tank at least 100 gallons.

They are very active and a 6ft long tank would be the more ideal.,, but they're fine in a 55gal.

Denison's are one of the few barbs that can be kept in pairs or single... Though a school does look so much better.

I agree with the majority of the views here; 29 gallons is definitely not enough. I would say at least 55 gallons to be comfortable.

OK sorry! I stopped following the thread because I thought I had reached a conclusion and I didn't see that post!

No big deal(y)

Now you don't have to feel guilty about housing a single Denison in a community tank. My first Denison was by itself with Tiger and Black Ruby barbs for a good month and a half ...perfectly happy.

Back
Top Bottom