Depth and type of sand for...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrcrazypants05

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I need to know what type of sand and how much I need for a 125gallon aquarium. I will most likely be getting new world cichlids. Oscar and a couple others. How much sand and what kind of sand should I get?

Are you planning on live plants? If so, what types? Swords, for instance, like deeper sand (usually about 4"-5" versus the standard 2"-3").

I havent really thought much about plants at all... since I hear the oscars and such larger cichlids tend to tear them. I was just planning on making larger rock sort of caves and a large piece of driftwood. I'll also have a plecostomus in the aquarium. I was thinking maybe a 2.5" sand bed maybe 3"

2.5" will be just fine....make sure you grab some MTSes to keep it stirred up nicely.....for a 125, you should think about approximately 150lbs, give or take a few pounds.

There are many different types of sand that you can use. My personal favorite is pool filter sand because it's so cheap. A 50 lb bag runs anywhere between $6 to $10.

Yea uh we have a pool place sort of near here called Watsons. So, I'll check them out and give them call in a couple days. Is pool filter sand a heavier sand? I just don't want something that will get stirred up by my oscar or other cichlids that im going to get. I don't wanna buy new filter parts :p

you'll be fine with pool filter sand ... it looks fairly fine, but it isn't light. If you took your hand and stirred it all up, it'll just fall straight back down (at least mine does).

I have no problem with my AC300/70's ... the bottom suction tube is about 2" off the sand I've had zero probs with it getting sucked up.

you want 3m color quartz sand, its heaver than pool filter and looks better. However, its hard to find. People think its just as good as the moon sand.

BTW the walmart where I work has 50lbs of silica based play sand for $1.25 or so. I also get a discount on it. I've heard that silica sand is bad though. What are your opinions?

Silica sand is not bad, and is very commonly used in aquariums. It is generally very fine and light, and is more likely to give you trouble with your filter by getting into the water column (use a sponge prefilter to prevent this). Many new world cichlids dig quite a bit and will make this more of a concern, but at the same time will also keep it from compacting, which is a problem with fine-grained sand. That is where Toirtis' suggestion about MTS come in - they reside in the sand and burrow around, preventing anaerobic pockets.

I've called around a few places. Watsons is a pool place and they sell pool filter sand for $8.99 for 50lbs. I guess thats not too bad. Prices on everything is high here. I paid $2.79 for gas the other day :( I know a guy that has his own business and they do a lot of sand blasting. He gave me some numbers to call.

Back
Top Bottom