Di I really need filter in hospital tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RackinRocky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have one fish with ich. It only has one spot as of yet, but I know how quickly it can spread. I am going to put him in a hospital tank with an air stone and heater. Is a filter really necessary, even if I'm doing, say, 30% water changes every day? He's a Mountain Cloud Minnow, and will not appreciate the high temp, but it has to be dealt with. Has anyone here used an air stone only with no filter, in a hospital tank? Thanks!

You don't necessarily need one but you should try to keep the fish as comfortable as possible so his immune system isn't weakened. It's already going to be stressful to be placed in a new tank. Stressful to be alone. Stress from the heat, possible stress from ammonia/nitrites which will be enhanced by the heat. And then the additional stress of water changes every day.

Seems like it'd be easier to just get a filter going with a seeded sponge and eliminate some of those stressors. Also, with ich, I'd go ahead and treat the entire main tank. If your one fish got it then it's in the main tank. Since the white spot is just a cyst caused by the ich parasite it could be free floating in your main tank waiting for a host.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, Nigel. I will go ahead with a filter then. You're right--lots of stressers all at once! I had a Giant Danio with ich once, and I took him out, treated him with salt and 86 degree temperature for 5 days, and put him back in, and not ONE other fish got it! That was maybe 8 months ago. I felt the others didn't get it was only because I removed him within a couple of days after I was sure it was ich.

Hold on!!!! before adding the filter ;).......
Many meds will effect the nitrifying bacteria so you really don;t want a filter in a "hospital"tank. Just an air supply and heater will suffice. You will be doing water changes only as directed by the medication you use. Once the fish has been successfully medicated and it is either kept in a tank under quarantine or needs to be in an unmedicated tank to recover from the trauma, infection or injury for a longer period than hospitalization, THEN you should use a seeded filter for the tank.
Just so you know: A "Hospital" tank should be bare bottomed, clean and contain no decorations that can absorb the medications ( ie calcium based rock or shells, etc). The exact amount of water in the tank should be known so that you medicate for the proper amount of water present. ( i.e. a 10 gal tank does not hold 10 gals of water. Decorations can displace water as well.) Most hospital tanks are 5 or 10 gal tanks so that they are easier to medicate and easy to break down and sterilize once the medicating is over. You always want to sterilize a hospital tank after each use.
A "quarantine" tank can be decorated and maintained as your other tank(s) with the exception that you will not be adding more fish to this tank while your current stock is healing or adjusting to their new home.

Hope this helps. (y)

Many meds will effect the nitrifying bacteria so you really don;t want a filter in a "hospital"tank. Just an air supply and heater will suffice. You will be doing water changes only as directed by the medication you use. Once the fish has been successfully medicated and it is either kept in a tank under quarantine or needs to be in an unmedicated tank to recover from the trauma, infection or injury for a longer period than hospitalization, THEN you should use a seeded filter for the tank.
Just so you know: A "Hospital" tank should be bare bottomed, clean and contain no decorations that can absorb the medications ( ie calcium based rock or shells, etc). The exact amount of water in the tank should be known so that you medicate for the proper amount of water present. ( i.e. a 10 gal tank does not hold 10 gals of water. Decorations can displace water as well.) Most hospital tanks are 5 or 10 gal tanks so that they are easier to medicate and easy to break down and sterilize once the medicating is over. You always want to sterilize a hospital tank after each use.
A "quarantine" tank can be decorated and maintained as your other tank(s) with the exception that you will not be adding more fish to this tank while your current stock is healing or adjusting to their new home.

Hope this helps. (y)

Most accurate info I've heard in a VERY LONG time !!! ??

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Hope this helps. (y)

He's only doing the heat method for the treatment of ich, no medication.

He's only doing the heat method for the treatment of ich, no medication.

Actually, what I was writing about was for more than just this instance ( i.e the proper use of a hospital tank vs a quarantine tank) however, whenever dealing with a parasitic problem, you want nothing in the tnak for the parasite to adhere to so my comment still stands. ;)
Here is what the main problem with high heat and nitrifying bacteria is ( this was taken from the Fritz Labs page on Nitrifying bacteria Facts Nitrifying Bacteria Facts)

Dissolved Oxygen

Maximum nitrification rates will exist if dissolved oxygen (DO) levels exceed 80% saturation. Nitrification will not occur if DO concentrations drop to 2.0 mg/l (ppm) or less. Nitrobacter is more strongly affected by low DO than NITROSOMONAS.

Whenever using high heat, unless the aquarist is using a DO meter, there is no way to know whether the DO level is sufficient for nitrification. If not, whatever bacteria is in there would start to die off causing more pollution and water quality issues. Putting this together with not giving the parasites places to live and it really is better to not use a filter in a hospital tank situation no matter what you are treating. Quarantine tanks are a whole other story. :)

Hope this better explains it. (y)

Actually, what I was writing about was for more than just this instance ( i.e the proper use of a hospital tank vs a quarantine tank) however, whenever dealing with a parasitic problem, you want nothing in the tnak for the parasite to adhere to so my comment still stands. ;)
Here is what the main problem with high heat and nitrifying bacteria is ( this was taken from the Fritz Labs page on Nitrifying bacteria Facts Nitrifying Bacteria Facts)

Dissolved Oxygen

Maximum nitrification rates will exist if dissolved oxygen (DO) levels exceed 80% saturation. Nitrification will not occur if DO concentrations drop to 2.0 mg/l (ppm) or less. Nitrobacter is more strongly affected by low DO than NITROSOMONAS.

Whenever using high heat, unless the aquarist is using a DO meter, there is no way to know whether the DO level is sufficient for nitrification. If not, whatever bacteria is in there would start to die off causing more pollution and water quality issues. Putting this together with not giving the parasites places to live and it really is better to not use a filter in a hospital tank situation no matter what you are treating. Quarantine tanks are a whole other story. :)

Hope this better explains it. (y)

Thanks for that info! Very interesting!

Wow, I didn't know all that. I guess I won't use a filter then. Thanks for your time in typing all that! And no, I don't use this particular tank for quarantine, just hospital, so I'll just add an airstone and heater. Thanks again!

Wow, I didn't know all that. I guess I won't use a filter then. Thanks for your time in typing all that! And no, I don't use this particular tank for quarantine, just hospital, so I'll just add an airstone and heater. Thanks again!

Just trying to educate. ;) Here is another link about the life cycle of the ich parasite that might help you as well. Using Heat to Treat Ich in Freshwater Tropical Fish - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish
Hope it all helps. (y)

Excellent article, Andy. I think I've read it in the past, but I needed to refresh my memory. Thank you.

No problem. (y) It makes things so much easier when you know exactly what you are dealing with. That article even taught this old dog some new tricks. lol I had always treated ICH with either heat and meds or just meds but now I know WHY the heat worked and how high it needs to be. (y)(y) Proof positive that you never know EVERYTHING when dealing with livestock. ;)

Good luck with the cure. (y)

Back
Top Bottom