Diatom problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack sort

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been getting what I think are diatoms on my sand and was wondering what I can do about it. What's a little surprising is that it didn't start until I put my light on a timer. Before that I had them on like 12 hours a day. Since the timer I have been running the light 8 hours a day. I have read that Corydoras help with this but wanted to here from people to see if this is true. If so how many and do I even ave room in my tank. Here is what I currently have:
29 Gallon with the following fish:
3- Platy
1- Lyretail Guppy
1- Rainbow Cichlid
1- German Blue Ram Cichlid
4-red/blue Columbian Tetras
1- Synodontus Multipunctatus
1- Gold Inca snail
1- Zebra Nerite snail
1- Dwarf Blue Gourami

image-2563823256.jpg

Cory cats don't eat diatoms. How long has the tank been set up? Are you sure they are diatoms? A picture would help.

Diatoms are a yellowish brown to brown and in the picture it looks more green... what color is it!

Diatoms are self limiting and are often found in new setups. They use excess silicates in water and once they are used up the diatoms just die out. Running lights only 6 hours daily helps keep them down and you can also add a couple nerite snails that love diatoms. Neritess can't breed in freshwater so you won't be overrun with them either. I keep them in all my tanks.

Diatoms are a yellowish brown to brown and in the picture it looks more green... what color is it!

Diatoms are self limiting and are often found in new setups. They use excess silicates in water and once they are used up the diatoms just die out. Running lights only 6 hours daily helps keep them down and you can also add a couple nerite snails that love diatoms. Neritess can't breed in freshwater so you won't be overrun with them either. I keep them in all my tanks.

It is a light brown. I have one Nerite snail in there and wouldn't mind more of them, so I'll try that. As far as the lighting goes, it didn't even start until I backed off on the time the lights are on. It's already a bummer at 8 hours, it seems like most of the time I walk by the tank it's off.

Back
Top Bottom