Diatome cleanup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
As I mentioned in a previous thread, I have finally gotten my phophates under control, and I'm hoping for the diatomes to start to disappear. I don't have a "bad" problem with them, since I only really have to clean the glass about once a month to get a half dozen or so spots off, but they seem to be lingering in the gravel and on the decor, regardless of how thoroughly I siphon.

It was suggested to use nerites, but my LFS told me that even though they prefer brackish to reproduce, they will still start in a freshwater tank. That was enough for my wife to put up an anti-nerite wall...no snails in the tank at all.

I have 1 oto in there right now. I know that more would enable faster cleaning, but I'm worried about the extra bioload.

Am I being insane thinking that I won't have any diatomes at all, ever, in the tank? Should I be OK with the fact I only need to clean the glass once a month? My wife accuses me of being an anal engineer...could she be right? :)

Nerites can lay eggs in freshwater but they can't hatch. They can either be removed from the glass with an algae magnet or popped off DW with a blunt tool (I use my long handled sissors). If left alone they will slowly dissolve.

A couple Oto's wouldn't add much at all to a tanks bio-load. So that is the route I'd go especially since Oto's prefer being in groups.

I am certainly not experienced like Rivercats, but a school of Otos is really fun to watch and they absolutely destroy algae.

Sounds good...It's good to have a reason to go to the LFS besides "Just because" :)

Back
Top Bottom