diatoms? in the filter intake tube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am not positive that is what it is, but its brown. The tube is clear, and I can see the water moving up the tube because the brown stuff is long-ish. Its hard to describe. Any way, my question is, would it be safe to take this tube off and let the ottos and the pleco eat the stuff inside? If it is algae they would love it right? I took a picture.

Meredith...you're right...it is algae (diatom variety). Is the tube large enough for the fish to get in and out of? If yes, how long will you be leaving the filter inoperable?

IMO, I think it would be easier to clean it manually. I just did the same thing this past weekend.

Just leave the filter running and do not worry about feed your Ottos with it. There is very likely some very tasty bacteria inside the filter itself too :) It would be more beneficial to just run the tank like you normally do than to turn off your filter for a few hours and let them eat. By turning off the filter, you run the risk of the bacteria left in the filter going toxic from lack of water flow. If you put the media in the main tank to keep it wet, that just makes a mess. IMO this would be micromanaging to a fault, but a clever though :)

I also have this brown stuff in my intake tube on my 29 gal... i wanted to clean it ... but it seems sort of impossible, i obviously cant fit my hands inside of it... any suggestions on how i can clean this up?

What you need is a bottle brush. You can get sets of 3 different sizes from LFS or at the grocery . Shut off the filter, pull off the tube, brush it out using hot water, then reinstall. Don't forget to turn the filter back on . For canister filter hoses, I run a piece of fishing line through the hose, tie the loop on the handle of the brush to the line, then pull through. You may need to do it several times.:D

For canister filter hoses, I run a piece of fishing line through the hose, tie the loop on the handle of the brush to the line, then pull through. You may need to do it several times
I like this idea! Ever have the line break with the brush half way through?

Its definitely big enough for them to get into and out of. I also wouldn't need to turn off the filter. That clear part is just an extension tube so the intake is closer to the bottom. I had it running with out that tube for the longest time. I just wanted to know if it was safe for them to eat the stuff in the tube. I think I might take it off and see if they go for it.

I actually do that a few times a year in my tank for the Oto's. On my filter it is the extension tube that it grows inside. I just leave the filter running with a short tube and leave the extension on the gravel for the Oto's. With my 2 guys, they have it all cleaned out overnight. I reattach the tube in the morning.

So I decided to leave the intake extention off today after the water change to see if the ottos would nibble at the diatoms inside. WELL, Mr. Hooper got there first. Didn't even give the ottos a chance. I am including some pics. Its so cute, in some of the pictures you will see one of my corys watching him. He ate so much I could almost see little beads of sweat on his brow.

:eek:

Wow! Haha.

He sure wen't to work on that thing. The rest of it....

roll up a waschcloth by twisting it a bunch of times. Insert one end into the tube, and pull the washcloth through. That is how I clean my intake tube, and one swipe of the cloth takes it all away. My pleco is too fat to fit in mine. :wink:

Good idea you had there.

Back
Top Bottom