Discus tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frieked

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What makes a good tankmate for the Discus fish?
The guy who sold them to me at the LFS said angels go well with them since they both have the same temperment and ph/gh needs... but some stuff I've read online says angels are more agressive feeders and will bully the discus.
Which is true?

you could put angels in with them, but i would'nt recommend it. alot of info says no...fish like clown loaches aree ok, as they like the warm temps and soft water. heres a site that i think is very deep and provides extensie coverage on the many facets of keeping the undisputed king of fish:

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/index.shtml

hope this helps!

I read something, somewhere, about angels carrying a bacteria that kills discus(?) I don't remember the details, but I do remember that they are not good to mix together.
Whatever you keep with them, it should be peaceful. Possibly some african butterfly fish? No competition for territory there. Hatchet fish would also do well in the soft water, and a school of them would provide dithers for the discus.

I've heard on another forum that corydoras sterbai and cardinal tetras are good... agree?

You need to consider only fish that do well in htemp like 80+ but more like 82+.

Cardinal tetras do well if you can keep them. Some people have trouble in the first few weeks. I have kept neon tetras with discus for well over two years I think?-been too long, but people say that they do not do as wwell in the higher temps.

Bristle nose plecos are a good choice for algea control. Many other algea eaters are not good with discus because they will attatch themselves to the side of the discus and suck the slim coat off of them.-> I have seen this with one of my ottos.

As for cories, I have had no trouble with Sterbia's cories and enjoy them very much in the tank. I would also consider Julii and panda cories.

After reading alot, I did put a single angelfish in with my discus and everything seems fine, just the angel gets more food so I have to make sure the discus get enough. The thing with the "bacteria" and angel fish-I dont think its specific to angel fish, they just have similar conditions as the discus and can be carriers of illness that the discus can get. This is true for many other fish from the same or similar conditions.
edit* What I mean is angelfish are not anymore likely to carry illnesses than other discus.

I have cories and Albino BN plecos in with my discus. I do agree to keep in mind the higher temps that discus prefer may be an issue for other fish. Angelfish are not recommended but you can try providing you keep an eye on the situation and make sure the discus get enough to eat. Angels are more aggressive than the discus.

as others have said, i would only suggest cories, small tetras (neons or cardinals) and possible small pleco species. You dont want anything competitive, or anything large in the middle water regions. Most discus experts have come to the conclusion that no tankmates is best, but what fun is that?
Ben

Back
Top Bottom