Do aquarium meds expire?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i3k

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have never seen an expiration date on any of the aquarium meds except antibiotics. I bought Aquari-sol about 2 years ago and was just wondering if these medications ever expire?

Thanks.

When in doubt contact the manufacturer. They should be able to tell you whether a specific med expires or not.

It prob depends on what the med is ..... If it is an antibiotic, I would chuck it after a couple years (not only will they be ineffective, some antibiotics turns toxic when old).

However, a lot of the meds are just chemicals, and should last forever if stored properly - this would include things like formaline, KMnO4, etc.

Like any medication or chemical compound its fairly accurate to say that they do expire. Most chemicals used in aquariums are stable if stored at room temperature and in an inert plastic o glass container, if for only a few months or maybe years however I wouldnt use anything that makes me doubt. and even when they are in good condition you should use caution...more caution than medication ejeje

Back
Top Bottom