do mystery or apple snails eat algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slroo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need something to eat algae in my 10g betta tank, but I don't seem to have luck with ottos. Will snails do this?

some snails might, but it's entirely possible your betta will be hostile to it (all of mine have been hostile to snails)

Your best bet may be to feed less, put in some low light plants, and avoid keeping tank neara window

Yup. WiNGSPANTT touched on a very good point. Try keeping the tank in conditions that are going to make it harder for algae to grow. Try less lighting, less feeding, and make sure you have good circulation in the tank. Mystery snails will eat some algae, but it's not going to keep up if your algae is a large problem.

I've not had good luck with snails even when algae was a small problem. Apple snails, anyways. Maybe some of the plant eating snails would be better at it; they have big appetites.

My apples eat some algae, but not enough to make any difference.

The only snail reputed to be good algae eater is Nerite, but I have yet to see that for sale anywhere.

If you can get them, I recommend nerite snails, I picked up a couple recently at the lfs, they didn't even know what they had, and they are great algae eaters. But I don't know if bettas would attack them. Mine are in with goldfish which ignore them.

Back
Top Bottom