Do you feed your hillstream loach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsoong

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi again, hadn't posted for a while (too busy) but was lurking in the sidelines from time to time.

To make a long story short, I've finally decided to try some algae eaters for my cold water goldies tank. <I had a bout of BBA which I've fought to a draw with adding KNO3. It's still in the tank, but not spreading too fast, and is slowly being replaced with green algae .... good, I think>. From all my research, it seems my best choice would be hillstream loach or bristlenose pleco. Although the hillstream (aka Chinese butterfly) loach had a spotty record as an algae eater, I like how the fish look, so I am trying them first ..... I'll prob. get a bristlenose also.

Well, I finally found some this weekend & I now have 2 in my QT. My plan was to not feed these guys & simply let them live off the algae. However, I am having second thoughts. I had a bunch of rocks from the main tank with lots of yummy algae in the QT. Although I've seen the hillies grazing on the rocks from time to time, there is not a lot of difference in the amount of algae ... so I am wondering if they are getting enough to eat! <BTW, they both look healthy & active.>

So what do you thinK? Feed them something else (& risk spoiling them so they won't want to touch the algae) or let it be?

TIA

Welcome back, jsoong! I am glad to see you back in action. :D

I think I'd have to err on the side of caution and feed the loaches. I have mixed feelings about the notion of "starving" your worker bees, so to speak, so they will keep focused on eliminating the problem areas.

I have algae eaters, like most of us, and I put them in my tank for a reason, but in quarrantine I usually feed them. You have to walk the line of training your fish to do a job versus feeding them and conditioning them for a life of laziness, lol. Hopefully once they get into their permanent digs they will lunch on the algae, as intended, supplemented by the feedings that they expect, comfortable that if the algae runs out there will be something provided.

Hillstream loaches don't eat algae, they live off of the microorganisms, aufwuchs (sp) that live in algae. If they are grazing on this then they are more than likely getting enough to eat. I have two in my 29 and I tried putting extra food in there for them and I ended up with nitrite problems from overfeeding. I've heard of people feeding spirulina tabs, tetra min tabs, and crab bites, but I've never seen mine on the gravel to eat stuff.....they stay on the glass, decor, plants, and filter and seem to be eating something because their little mouths go a mile a minute. I've had them for a month and they seem happy and healthy......I hope they are. If you need something to destoy algae toss a bristlenose pleco in there, it'll be gone in no time. HTH

They really like shrimp pellets! I put shrimp pellets in for my bottom feeders and the hillstream loach goes crazy over them. I will also see him lach onto algae wafers from time to time.

Mine ate whatever after he got comfortable. Did not seem spoiled as he always munched on algae on stuff between feedings. Here is a pic of him eating a vege. I also think you should feed them but would not be surprised if they go after whatever you feed your goldies. I am interested in how they get along with the bristlenose.

Hope you find time to post regularly soon. Great to see you back. :)

They don't usually eat algae like already stated. They like bloodworms and stuff like that a lot more.

They developed the 2 part sucker body to hold onto rocks in fast moving , cold streams, rivers, etc., not to really eat algae.

I have them before and they don't even notice the algae.

I know they might not be the greatest algae eaters. <My web search is split on this - perhaps because there are about a dozen different species sold as hillstream loaches ... so they are talking about different fish?>

But I think Hillies are neat, so I'll keep them even if they don't go for the algae..... I'll prob add a bristlenose once the QT is free.

I've been watching them for the last few days & I think they are getting something from the rocks. But to be safe, I'll toss in some goodies every few days. Once in the main tank, however, feeding them might be difficult, as the goldies will eat everything before it hits bottom! Maybe I'll try dropping some in after the goldies are asleep.

BTW TG, thanks for the link! I don't have the fancy river setup, but I think I have enough flow to keep them happy. Actually the 2 I have don't seem to like current much ... I have a HOT Magnum (150 gph) on the 10, and these guys prefer to hide under rocks & pretty much avoid the pump return area.

It is possible there will be territorial conflicts between the loaches and the bristlenoses, so keep that in mind for the future.

Thanks for the headsup! I've been concentrating so much on how the additions will work with the goldies that I haven't looked at how they work with each other. OK, a lot more reading before I get the bristlenose .....

Oh, anyone out there has any experience keeping the 2 together?

I have experience with keeping one with a common pleco and one time an otto for a short period of time.

It owuld chase them for maybe a couple days than it would stop altogether. thats about it lol.

I agree, I have two hillstreams and, for a while, I had a common pleco in there with them. They never noticed each other. If the pleco was sucking in their territory they moved. I never saw any aggression.

I have read through a few sites with both Hillies & bristlenose in same tank, and no major problems reported. With the positive reports above, I think I'll give it a go .... maybe after Christmas .... when I'll have more time to really watch & take corrective actions if needed.

Back
Top Bottom