Do you have to quaratine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieAliceF

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a 29 gallon tank that I thankfully convinced my parents to let me run. Once I finish cycling I want to get some fish of course but I'm a little scared. I'm not allowed another(even small)tank, I had to beg for this one as it is. So I can't quarantine any fish, and my LFS is a lot pricier than the average store..

Is it a must to quarantine your fish? Please don't say "Oh tell them you NEED one" like I was told on a different site because they don't think so :(

Thanks!

Hah I'm in your shoes as well :D

I have never had a quarantine tank, and I have never had a mass death or something bad, but I do have ick guard and fungus guard at hand at all time so yea
But I have never used it everything is good!
Everyone will say "you need one, you have to have one" "your an irresponsible fish keeper for not having one" but you know what, I don't have it, and I really don't think I will
Good luck :)

You really don't, IMO, I don't have one, nor have I ever had one. Just be careful when picking out your fish, look them over really good when you get them. Also, ordering online direct from breeders would probably help too. Although, if you REALLY feel the need for it, you could just tell them its temporary, because I see no need for a quarantine tank once you have all your fish in. And as mentioned above, I have meds and other treatments on.hand at all times. I only had one Ich outbreak last Christmas, but that was easily remedied.

P.S.
I know the feeling when it comes to begging for a fish tank. I had to beg for my current 45, and I'm lucky to now be able to set up a 20 in my room, cuz the 45 in my room right now is going in a different room in our new house.

Tell them you need one. Just kidding it is recommended to QT fish as not to kill others if they are sick. You can use a clean bucket if needed. If you trust your LFS you don't need one. When shopping just look for abnormality in the tank.

Hi, I have a 29 gallon tank that I thankfully convinced my parents to let me run. Once I finish cycling I want to get some fish of course but I'm a little scared. I'm not allowed another(even small)tank, I had to beg for this one as it is. So I can't quarantine any fish, and my LFS is a lot pricier than the average store..

Is it a must to quarantine your fish? Please don't say "Oh tell them you NEED one" like I was told on a different site because they don't think so :(

Thanks!
Welcome to AA! :welcome:

Of course, it would be good to have one, but I really don't think it is necessary. :) (Also, remember to acclimate your fish!) Good Luck! (y)

Do you have a couple buckets for water changes? Just use one of those - preferably a 5 gallon bucket. A small heater and internal filter such as a sponge filter should be kept on hand to pop in there when you need to use it for QT. You can run the internal or sponge filter in the main tank to get it cycled until you need it.

This is what I do for quarantining most fish. I have a 1.5 gallon I use to qt the bettas I get that are not going into an individual tank. I don't usually qt the ones I get direct from breeders, though.

I'm soooo glad it isn't just me who doesn't have one. I'm in the same situation (but I have small chance of getting a 5g). If there's no fish in the tank, then don't worry because you'll be treating the whole tank anyway.

I ALREADY have fish in the tank (I did a fish in) so I know how it feels. I did a fish in cycle and I don't want my platy to catch anything, but then again I don't have a QT. My parents had it through with tanks (they didn't want one in the first place) so I can imagine how hard it is. I'm scared to add new fish as well :p

Like mentioned, I also have medications on board. i think you should have them just in case something goes wrong in the tank. They're like emergency kits for fish, obviously lol

Acclimate as best as you can so you don't stress the fish. I read that the more you stress them, the more they're likely to catch ich or an illness.

I'm getting a dedicated qt for the reef tank I am setting up, but I've never had one for my fresh tanks really. I set up the 1.5 from time to time, but I usually use a bucket. I've tried setting a qt up before, but I always end up stocking it... The good thing is I don't get any freshwater fish too big to qt in a bucket.

Quarantining the fish is recommended because you could introduce something to your tank that may kill or infect the pre existing stock. Skipping quarantine is just gambling, you could be totally fine, or not. If the tank is full of hundreds of dollars worth of plants and fish then it's probably a good idea, if it's just a tank with a couple of fish then not as big of a deal.

I don't have one, I don't think my husband would be thrilled to have a 3rd tank in the house. When buying just make sure to check the tanks for any illness that you can see and make sure the fish you are getting look healthy. I don't have any expensive fish or plants in my tank, if I did I would probably feel the tank for a quarantine tank. Just make sure you have the needed medication for the fish in case something happens.

You don't need a QT tank, but as Jeta said: It's a gamble.

I have fairly expensive fish in my tanks so I QT everything with the exception of fish from a few different places here in town. Anything from the chain stores I will quarantine for sure because the chances are much higher of them being infected with something.

Hello Katie...

I've never quarantined my new fish. I don't think you need to do it. You do need to know the source of your fish and use common sense when selecting them. The fish should be active and swimming with the group. Look for erect fins, clear eyes, good color, smooth skin, no bumps, blemishes, marks or patches of discoloration and a full body. No heavy breathing and it should appear generally stress free.

I also run a little standard aquarium salt in my planted tanks, generally 1 teaspoon for every 5 gallons of new water. Most pathogens that will infect fish are unable to tolerate even a trace of salt in the tank water. Large, frequent water changes are a must. Do them religiously and your tank will be a healthy place for your fish and plants.

B

I was one of the unlucky ones that did not QT one fish (who looked very healthy at the store) and wiped out the whole tank and quite a bit of money on meds a few years ago... The bucket idea is great if you don't have a spare tank set up for this till you are able to. It truly is a gamble (and in my case a very expensive lesson learned)

I have to agree its gamble to not quarantine any new fish, no matter where you purchased them from. Quarantine does not require another tank or expensive equipment either. As already mentioned, a 5g bucket with a sponge filter and small heater (if needed) for small fish or a 10-20g Rubbermaid-type plastic storage bin for larger fish is simple and inexpensive. They run for under $10 (most under $5) at any chain or outlet store. If you do daily big wcs, a filter is not even necessary but an airstone/bubbler is a good idea. When qt is over, disinfect and stick in the closet for future use. This setup also makes for an easy sick tank if you need to isolate a fish for treatment or other reasons.

Quarantining Fish

There are many pathogens, bacteria and parasites living in a small environment, like an aquarium. Most live dormant for long periods waiting for a lapse in tank management, like missing a few water changes, over feeding and poor handling of new fish introduced to a tank. Any of these conditions are more than enough to stress fish and cause a breakdown in the their immune system, allowing the fish to become infected.

Large, frequent water changes, minimal feeding with a good variety of foods and in my case, adding a bit of standard aquarium salt, Kosher or canning salt to the replacement water, will make a healthy environment for the fish and plants. Healthy fish are rarely infected by the pathogens that live in their tank water.

B

There are many pathogens, bacteria and parasites living in a small environment, like an aquarium. Most live dormant for long periods waiting for a lapse in tank management, like missing a few water changes, over feeding and poor handling of new fish introduced to a tank. Any of these conditions are more than enough to stress fish and cause a breakdown in the their immune system, allowing the fish to become infected.

Large, frequent water changes, minimal feeding with a good variety of foods and in my case, adding a bit of standard aquarium salt, Kosher or canning salt to the replacement water, will make a healthy environment for the fish and plants. Healthy fish are rarely infected by the pathogens that live in their tank water.

B

Large frequent water changes, salt, and good conditions doesn't prevent all diseases, especially the more serious ones that are the most dreaded. True there are many conditions that arise from poor water quality, but many contagious diseases do not just sit in the water waiting to strike. They are passed from fish to fish when quarantining is bypassed. Salt is good for a lot of external parasites but does little for many internal parasites and bacterial issues.

Constantly salting water as a preventative is not only unnecessary, it just makes no sense on a biological level if you are keeping fish that come from areas with little to no salt in the water.

There's a reason why some LFS salt their water and unless people are adding large shipments of fish to their systems regularly it's an archaic and outdated practice in my opinion.

Inspecting fish before buying them is always a good idea, but not every ailment is readily visible and that's why quarantine is recommended as it gives times for any issues to surface before subjecting the rest of your stock to it.

Hello jet...

I wouldn't presume to say "all" diseases would be prevented. But will say that the chances of a fish in good health, coming down with a disease of any kind, is very remote.

The "salt" debate is a favorite of mine. From my observations over the years, I wouldn't be without it. Just a trace, but it makes all the difference in the health of my fish.

As for quarantining, it never occurred to me. Guess I'm a trusting sort. But, I do my homework and check the fish carefully before I buy. I make sure the new fish is acclimated properly and lives in a pure water environment.

B

If I sing to my fish every morning and they are super healthy then does that mean that my singing keeps them healthy?

I digress, though, this isn't really about debating the magical attributes given to salting freshwater tanks, so I won't ramble on anymore about that. Here's a good article on salt and the mythology behind it. Salt magic | The Skeptical Aquarist

It's true that tank wipeouts are rare, but they do happen, and some of the more aggressive bacterial infections will leave all but the most advanced fishkeepers scratching their heads.

Like I said, if it's worth the risk, then don't QT. If you have hundreds of dollars worth of fish, plants, substrate, etc, I suggest spending a few bucks on a QT rather than blindly trusting the LFS, farm, or whoever you get the fish from.

The "salt" debate is a favorite of mine. From my observations over the years, I wouldn't be without it. Just a trace, but it makes all the difference in the health of my fish.

IMHO seeing benefits from salt is not unlike feeding fish a slightly higher quality food and then raving about how it made colors pop. Most of the people who use it are trying to see a big positive result when there is none. There really is no evidence to suggest that the routine adding of sodium chloride will help your aquarium.

As for quarantining, I do believe it is important. It helps prevent diseases and parasites from going into your main tank, and affecting all the fish in there. If the new fish have a deadly parasite, in quarantine just the new fish will die as opposed to the parasite being spread to the whole tank and having all your fish die. As for thoroughly inspecting each fish you buy, there are lots of things that you can't see. Ich is a very common parasite among fish, and unless the fish at the store have very advanced cases, you will not be able to see it. You would have to look at the gills of each fish with a microscope to really be able to tell whether or not they have it.

Back
Top Bottom