Does Oxygen kill algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmathis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Are high oxygen levels lethal or unhealthy for algae? Or can it at least slow or limit algae growth?

Thanks!!!

Very high oxygen level will kill blue green algae. These are actually bacteria & don't have the thick cell wall of true plants, so are susceptible to the effect of their own metabolic waste products (in this case oxygen).

People have use H2O2 to kill BGA, or something as simple as increasing water flow might increase O2 enough to inhibit it.

Doesn't work for other types of algae FAIK.

H2O2 & algae

Matt
I occasionally get BBA on some of my plants.
At first I injected H2O2 directly above the plant.
I read that hydrogen peroxide was heavier than water so I was hoping it would sink around the algae and kill it. But it did not work.
Now I uproot the plant and dip it in H2O2 for about a minute, replant and the next day the algae are pinkish orange in color. It disappears in a couple of days.
I also get a green algae on driftwood. I pour H2O2 on the driftwood and put it into the tank. It bubbles for awhile. The algae disappears.
I’ve read that H2O2 turns into water and oxygen after it is put into a tank.
SO, to answer your question. I think high levels of oxygen will kill algae.

Charles

Hey thanks a lot, both of you.

I looked up what you were saying about the H2O2 and it seems like a lot of people agree with you. I think this method is for me!

cbwmn,
Do you just use regular hydrogen peroxide, like from the drug store?

Do you dilute it any?

Thanks again!

Matt
I use regular 3% H202 full strenth. I pour it in a flat pan and dip the plants in for a minute or so. Then replant.
H2O2 is water with an extra molecule of oxygen.
Some folks treat the whole tank at 2 ml per gallon.
Don't go overboard with the whold tank treatment.
I buy the H2O2 at a dollar store for 50 cents a bottle.
For awhile I tried a bleach dip at a 20 to 1 ratio. It worked
but I lost a bunch of swordplant leaves. They did grow back
Good Luck
Charles

Just a warning - I have found some plants are more sensitive to H2Os than others - eg Vals & hornwort. Generally, plants that are sensitive to Excel (those without stomata) appears to be sensitive to H2O2 and bleach as well. <I used 1/2 strength H2Os, that created a major leaf melt, but the plants did grew back eventually.>

Back
Top Bottom