Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OsciTheOscar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Did the rookie act of buying DW from the LFS and assumed it to be tank ready.

half a day in, my OCD eye notices a slight tea colored tint to my water. Fiance tells me im crazy. I wait a day, another day, and now im here... its clearly coloring my tank with tannins.

I took the DW out. Currently i am boiling the hell out of it!

How long is enough? I feel like the water will never run clean...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Could be a day could be a week I just let mine soak in a bucket and change the water out twice a day with hot water

Roger. Just boiled for 5 hours it with at least 5 water changes. Gonna let it soak with hot water for however long it takes.

Just tell me one thing.

Does the water actually eventually run clear and clean?

Eventually... I have one massive piece of driftwood and one regular size piece in my 55 crystal clear water.

Mine is probably 30"x3"x5"... id assume is fairly small...

Attachments

• 1425528008388.jpg
    1425528008388.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 65
There are some people whose driftwood leeched tannins for months. Just throw it in the tank and let it run its course. Adding carbon or Purigen to your filter will help suck up some of the tannins.

I have three large pieces in my 150 gallon and I soaked each overnight in water then threw them in. After about two weeks with maybe three water changes a week the water started becoming clear.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I appreciate that. I personally try to avoid chems if at all possible.

Actually priced activated carbon at my LFS today just to look. Id spend $25 on it and a mesh bag just to last 4 weeks... not worth it in my book

I appreciate that. I personally try to avoid chems if at all possible.

Actually priced activated carbon at my LFS today just to look. Id spend $25 on it and a mesh bag just to last 4 weeks... not worth it in my book

I wouldn't really consider Purigen a chemical. And it's rechargeable unlike carbon so you can reuse it. I still think throw it in there though and use water changes to keep the water mostly clear. At least then you can let it leech tannins and develop that white fungus on it at the same time and kill two birds with one stone while waiting it out.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom