driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cash Turtle

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is thre someplace I can get aquarium ready driftwood? I dont mine soaking it to get rid of excess tannins but I dont want to deal with teh sanitizing and such

If you want to make really sure it's free of bacteria, fungus or other bad stuff, you will definitely have to boil it. It doesn't matter where you get it from, you always got to do that. With my last piece I didn't do it and had to deal with a really nasty, ugly looking fungus for several weeks.

I just soaked mine for 3 weeks, added it to the tank, and was just fine. I didn't boil mine. If I get more, will probably do just the same.

Also, if you boil it, should be able to place it in the tank right away after boiling. I just don't have a pot big enough. :)

For the Malaysian driftwood, the shipping is $7.99. That's for 1 piece. The more you get, shipping will go up some, but not too much more.

I'd try to purchase from the lfs. You will know what piece of wood you are getting. When you order online you don't know how large the piece will be and what shape it will be in.

That is true. At the lfs, you can decide on size and shape. But if size or shape doesn't matter, you can usually get better prices online. I got some of mine online and was happy with what I got. Also got a couple pieces from the local Petco. Paid a little more though.

Back
Top Bottom