Driftwood help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thelastasian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got this huge piece of driftwood I picked up from the beach that I'd like to incorporate into my tank. I've dried it all out and it's practically white. What else do I need to do to it before I put it in my tank?

I would get a waterproof container large enough to hold it and a bunch of pots of boiling water. Pour it in and allow it a chance to heat the wood thoroughly to kill anything that might be living in it.

After that it should be okay to add to the tank but it couldn't hurt to let it soak for a little while.

I bought mine and let it soak for maybe 2 weeks and it still turned my water a little brownish, so for sure let it soak.

Hello thelast...

You don't need to go to a lot of effort to get the piece ready for the tank. Rinse it well with the pressure nozzle attached to the garden hose and leave it out in the sun to dry for a couple of days. The heat and rays from the sun will be more than enough to kill any bacteria.

Boiling will soften most woods and they can come apart in the tank. Just rinse it well, dry it out and while it dries, look for some decorative rocks. You'll need them to weigh down the piece in the tank.

B

Back
Top Bottom