Driftwood Preparation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I know that before I can use the dw I found, I need to boil it and then waterlog it. So I have a question, how can I boil it if its too large for a pot on a stove? Would it be enough to prepare some boil some water maybe for a few minutes and pour it into a container that has the dw in it? Thanks.

umm I think its too big for the burner on the stove lol. Its almost 20 inches long from one end to the other.

I don't have a pressure washer, and a dishwasher would make a little wary, with any soap residue, but idk, maybe.

you dont have to boil it.... you can put it outside in a trash can or some type of bin and put hot water over it if you really wanted to.

I agree with mgamer20o0. I just drown big driftwood in a large rubbermaid. A trashcan would work great for those really long ones. It'll take a while though.

You also dont have to have a power washer, just get one of the nozzles that are high pressure and hit it with that pretty good. If you have a spare bathroom you dont use then you can just fill it with hot water and let it soak.

Remember though if you really wanna get the brown out then you need to be vigilant on changing the water its soaking in no matter what your using to soak it. When i did my first dw i emptied it out every hour and refilled. The large piece i showed in my 250 build i sprayed, soaked for a week and just put it in one of my tanks (dealing with the brown water with water changes) to seed until i can get my 250 up.

Well I wouldn't care for a little bit of tannin in the water, but I doubt I would want to much. I'll spray it really good with the water hose, let it dry, boil some water and put that over it and let it soak a week or two and Change the water every few hours when I can. I'm guessing I should probably use dechlor or RO water or even rain water when soaking it?

a local water line broke so we don't have water for now :\, once it turns back on, I'll spray the dw, boil some water, pour it over the dw, then change the water when needed with some rain water (there's about 5 rain barrels outside)

I got it washed off and in an empty trash can but something stung me on the back of my neck, so theres gonna be a bit of a delay.

Sounds like a plan. I like to bake my DW/rocks/soil that I use for any animal encloser at 400 degrees for 15 minutes to sterilize.

Thanks. hmmm interesting. I'd do that, but I don't want to risk any chance of fire, I really like this dw, and I don't want to mess it up or anything.

I got it all out in a trash can filled with mostly boiled RO water and a little bit of rain water. It is mostly submerged :)

Would it work if you soaked it in dilute pure ammonia then used a (powerful) garden hose to rinse it out?

Back
Top Bottom