Drip Acclimation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquamandan

Aquarium Advice Freak
When acclimating new fish to an aquarium, I know a lot of us float the bag for 30+ minutes or so and then slowly add some of the aquarium water to the bag before release.

Just wondered who uses the drip acclimation method instead and do you think it is better than the other way?

The drip acclimation is a lot better than the floating bag method. The drip makes sure the water inside the bag is the same parameters and the temp as the tank. The floating way only changes the temp in the bag and is also a bit more dangerous because it can push oxygen from the bag as the bag goes into the water, causing the fish to possibly suffocate.

drip acclimation is the best way to acclimate new fish into the tank, although taking the most time. most fish will do fine if you just float the bag in water for 20+min or so, but for expensive and sensitive fish such as discus, i would do a careful drip acclimation. what i typically do for my fish is i puncture one or two small holes in the bag using sharp items such as a needle just to let a small diffusion of the water between the bag and the tank. you can say it's somewhere between a drip acclimation and the floating method.

drip acclimation is the best way to acclimate new fish into the tank, although taking the most time. most fish will do fine if you just float the bag in water for 20+min or so, but for expensive and sensitive fish such as discus, i would do a careful drip acclimation. what i typically do for my fish is i puncture one or two small holes in the bag using sharp items such as a needle just to let a small diffusion of the water between the bag and the tank. you can say it's somewhere between a drip acclimation and the floating method.

That's a good idea :) Do you let water from the bag get in the tank?

I've used drip acclimation for many years and got into the habit when I did SW and reef tanks. I think it's definitely better and easier IMO.

I've used drip acclimation for many years and got into the habit when I did SW and reef tanks. I think it's definitely better and easier IMO.

+1
I agree with using drip acclimation as well. We only test for the most basic parameters in fw tanks and allowing fish time to adjust to our specific water conditions is worth the time spent in the process. Nothing special is necessary either other than a bucket and some airline hose.

I put fish and water in seperate container then every 5 min i add 1/2 cup of my tank water into that container for about 30 min. then i use my net and scoope them out to put them into my tank, i saw this method in a book i was reading and have been doing it this way, so fish get used to the perimeters of your tank

Back
Top Bottom