Dwarf Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtnee

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was at Petsmart picking up some supplies and of course strolled by the fish. They had two dwarf puffers and said the max size is 1.5" inches. These two were TINY and well I think they are just cute!

Now I am curious about them. I know some on here own this fish. What is the best way to keep them? is 1.5" correct?

best size tank for them?
only fish in the tank I assume?
What to put in the tank for them? They seem mid level swimmers from what I saw, is this correct?
What do they eat?

1.5" is correct. Tiny little guys, but awsome personality

5gallons-20gallons is best

Yes, they do best in species tanks, but otos and some types of shrimp can be kept with them

They need TONS of cover. They prefer live plants, but fake isn't exactly bad for them, they would do fine with fake. They inhabit every part of the tank i found.

They eat mainly snails (pest snails like ramshorn and pond snails) and live or frozen bloodworm.

http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/ .... here is the best resource for them out there.

They are very aggressive though... believe it or not.

My friend had them in a community tank and soon most of her fish were gone,lol. Crazy huh?

I got a question myself...

Can you have 3 puffers in a heavily (real) planted tank?

Depends on the size. 20 gallons would work if it is heavily planted.

Would they be fine in a heavy planted tank with fake plants? I am not one for planted tanks. I am getting two 30gl tanks given to me for free and I would like to turn one into a dwarf puffer tank.

Hmm this could become a reality here very shortly. I just got given yet another 30gl with a stand LOL that is 2 30gls WOO HOO!

I feel like a newbie here all over again. I have no idea the best care for this fish and want to make sure I get it right so here are a lot of questions (by the way that puffer site is a good site)

I am sure I am going with a dwarf puffer tank, they are just too cute.

Cleaning - I am just terrified of sucking one of them up with the python. Would using a regular gravel vac be best? I have read they are very curious fish and easy to suck up. I use a regular vac on my 55gl here and there cause I dont think the python is the best vac. I fill always with the python but to use a regular gravel vac on the 30gl wouldnt be an issue for me.

I have a bag of sand, would that be okay for them or is gravel best? Also a piece of driftwood acceptable, do they like that?

Snails..... are they able to eat baby snails? I love snails but at the same time I don't mind nature. My mystery snails are off limits LOL but in my 10gl (planted) that is home to my Betta there are tons of tiny snails that I wouldn't mind being a snack for a fish.

Would they eat them if I put them in the tank as small baby snails?

My 55gl I also have two larger regular snails that escaped the Clown Loach cleaning, I mean I had hundreds of baby snails and they cleaned it up! I have two left that are pretty big but I have yet to see anymore baby snails. I know they have to be making babies, the clown loaches are gone so I am not sure what is eating them now.

If I put those two snails in the 30gl puffer tank would that supply the puffers with snail food? I of course will feed them more then just snails!

I know that they may not get them all and I may have to remove some, but just curious as to if this would work out.

Back
Top Bottom