dwarf puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swmmnglessons

Aquarium Advice Regular
This story is proof that you must research a fish before you buy it just because it's cute. I have a 10 gallon that's not quite to it's capacity yet so I decided to add another fish or two. Kinda like money burning a hole in your pocket, having a little extra space for more fish burns me. So I drove on down to the big huge pet superstore chain and walked back and forth for probably 30 minutes before I decided on 2 teeny tiny dwarf puffers (not even 3/4 of an inch probably). They were so friggin cute I just had to get them. Now the sticker said they're semi-aggressive but I figured as tiny as they were, they couldn't be that mean, right? Wrong. Plopped 'em in my tank with a gourami, 4 neon tetras, an algae eater and a dwarf frog. They were doing just fine and I saw them nip the other fish a couple times but figured it'd be no big deal. Checked on them before i went to the mall lastnight and everything was fine. Got home 2 hours later and they had eaten off half of my gourami's tail!! I was so furious because the gourami is the best fish, very spunky and playful, and now he was acting very scared and stressed. Poor guy. All because I didn't research the new fish - obviously not good additions to a community tank. Hopefully the gourami will heal up and not get fin rot or anything.

I knew somebody would ask - that's the unfortunate thing. I have a smaller tank but wasn't up and running and the store had been closed for about an hour so I had to....flush 'em...I know it's bad but there was really no other choice...

:cry: not puffers :cry: not the toilet :cry: no :cry:

well, you have to do what's best for your tank, i suppose. you could have sent them my way; i would have loved to take them off your hands. can't find dwarves around here.

just for future reference--i have had emergencies and kept all sorts of little fish in bowls, vases, anything temporarily--just have to keep the water changed and not overcrowd so they get enough oxygen...so if you have this problem again, you can just throw the meanie in a bowl with a lot of surface area and let him wait until the store opens... :roll:

I didn't know puffers could go in fresh tanks...hmm. Then again, I don't know much about fish species. :)

I really wish my LFS would hurry up and finish building its new store. Apparently the old one closed down just as I got back home from school. GRR! I want to find something fun for my extra 10 gallon! And I want some plants for my current 10.

-j

Yes there are freshwater puffers, in fact the current issue of AFM has a feature on freshwater puffers.

I have officially decided that the only thing I want for Christmas from my parents is a subscription to an aquaria mag. :)

-j

hisc1ay said:
I have officially decided that the only thing I want for Christmas from my parents is a subscription to an aquaria mag. :)

-j

Well if they do please use this link AFM Subscirption You can get 1 year for $15.97 or 67% off the cover price plus you help the site out.

fishfreek said:
Yes there are freshwater puffers, in fact the current issue of AFM has a feature on freshwater puffers.

Actually the current issue of AFM has a feature article on Firemouth Cichlids :lol: , I got my Jan, 2003 issue yesterday....

WELL WELL WELL!!!!

Since I not got the new one yet the old one is still the CURRENT issue

SO THERE!

:microwave: :x-mas:

Back
Top Bottom