easiest way to remove gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishBoy185

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok with my 75 gallon aquarium I made the decision to put blue gravel in because I thought it would look cool but now I want the more realistic pebbles like stone pebbles. What would be the easiest way to remove a lot of gravel from a 75 gallon tank?
Thanks
Brian

Time machine? :D

The easiest way is to empty your tank put all the fish in a bucket and scoop them all out. When you refill just do a standard acclimation to get them used to the big change in water. You will probably experience a mini cycle when you switch over so keep an eye on your parameters.

I did that with my 75 it is not fun at all. It took a long time. I found a platic dust pan worked best for scooping then dumped into a double lined trash bin. the hardest part is figuring out how to get the rock without also getting a bucket full of water. I drained the tank as much as possible then would scoop with the dust pan and let the water run out the handle of the dust pan.

A square plastic tube drill small holes in the bottom and u have a gravel scope the water can drain out of I did this with my 35 gal

I just switched my 75 from gravel to sand. I emptied about 25 gallons into a rubbermaid tub and put the fish in that with a heater to keep the temp up. I scooped out all the gravel with a fish net. Let everything settle for a bit, then vacuumed up all the crap off the bottom glass. Then added sand, topped off the water, let that settle a bit, then put the fish back in! Easy! Most BB is in filter so I had no mini cycle... i'm also running three filters and have a small bioload so be sure to test still!

Just out of curiosity how long does a mini cycle last? Like a day?

Depends. They can last from a few days to a week from what I've heard. I always go way overboard with filtering my tanks so I haven't had to deal with mini cycles yet.

Well I'm moving my filters from my 55 to a 20 cause I have to return the 55 due to a crack but then move my filters over after i get the new 55

Back
Top Bottom