Excel OD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, yes, you can OD Excel. Yesterday I had done some maintenance, pulled a couple plants and did an Excel soak. Then I took the Excel solution and added it to the tank. I thought since I've done it on my 29G, it shouldn't be a problem with my 75G. Well, within 30 minutes, all the fish were at the surface, and the ramshorns were all doing the same. Headed for the surface. So I had gone into emergency mode and took my 5G bucket and started removing water. Once I got enough out, I added the python and started filling as I was removing. Did this for nearly 45 minutes. I used the bucket to lower the water low enough without losing suction on my XP3. Then would let it partly fill back up. Did this several times. I'm never doing that again.....

Another thing is the tank was also up at ick treatment temps. So I've begun to lower the temps now, as there's been no sign if ick for a while now.

So are all of your fish okay? I am sorry to hear about this mistake and have learned from it so that it doesn't happen with me. Hopefully everything turns out okay for you and the fish.

Well, when I woke up this morning, 2 more roselines were dead. Ouch. I just have 1 left. Also, I looked at the temp, it said 79. But it still felt warm to the touch. So I used one of my other cheap digitals, and it was still 85 degrees. Ouch again. Wonder how warm the water really was. Probably mid 90's or higher. And the digital on the 75G was an expensive one as well. Gonna get a new battery today to see if that makes any difference. I turned the temp down a little more again for today. Hopefully will get the temp down to 79-80 in the next day or 2.

Thanks for sharing. We all now know what not to do. Sorry to hear of your losses. I remember when you shared their arrival. Hope it all straightens out soon.

Not the roselines!

Sorry to hear about that. They were definitely gorgeous fish.

or in english it is co2 in liquid form. when u overdose it puts to much carbon in the water and the fish have a hard time breathing. people dip there plants ina strong mixture of it to kill off algea.

I actually put in about 200ml, lol. I did 150ml in a solution in my 29G, and all's fine. Then I do 200ml into the 75G, where the temp was so high, wasn't a good thing to say the least. I used the solution to dip the plants for 5 minutes, then replanted and poured the solution in the tank, like I did with the 29G.

Now here's some other factors. I turned the temp down. Digital temp said 79 degrees. Then I went to do maintenance, water was still quite warm. So I took another cheap digital from another tank, temp is still 85 degrees. So if I took it from 89 degrees to 79 degrees, then the tank must have been at 97-99 degrees. Double Ouch. Gonna try a new battery in that digital, as it's fairly new and is an expensive one, with alarms, etc. Could be a very weak battery not letting it test properly. Will see. If not, I have some spare cheap ones that I know that work. So now, since ick dies at 92 degrees, no matter what stage they are in, it's been at that temp over 2 weeks. So I'm sure all the ick is gone. And the funny thing, the BN plecos, otos, and rummies are doing just fine.

Also, my water has been getting very cloudy from the whole ordeal with dead roselines, cories, and now a ton of ramshorns. The MTS seem to be doing ok, they come out now and then, then disappear again.

Back
Top Bottom