Farlowella, bumble bee, or banjo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, I have a 29 gallon with bottom feeders that are kuhli loaches and Cory cats, I need to decide on one of these cat fish, I want something unique looking, and will stand out and not be shy in flora max substrate, but it also can't hurt my other fish, so what fish is the best , the hardiest, better looking? And what are their needs? Thanks
Royal farlowella catfish, banjo catfish, or bumble bee catfish?

I used to have bumblebee cats, they were awesome but they would hide all day and when they came out it was for their snack- baby fish.

No, they hid in my shipwreck decoration. Although they might burrow themselves if they have sand.

I'm having flora max as a substrate so I don't think they will hide, how big do they get?

That i dont know, mine only reached 3" before i had to sell them for eating my baby fish

No, they ate my baby swordtails and platies, but they never tried to harm my tetras.

Banjo catfish are awesome. Mine literally burrows in the sand I have to check every few weeks to make sure he's still alive. The most calm fish you will ever have

Royal farlowella catfish need large tanks. They are grow long and they swim poorly and with the rigid bodies have trouble turning around so they have to have a lot of room. I have whiptail cats in the 220 and they have the same issues.

Ok so now, banjo cat or bumble bee, I'm having flora max substrate, so I need something that will be comfortable in it

The banjo catfish is a really neat fish. Some people say it looks like a miniature goonch catfish.

I'm assuming you're interested in the South American Bumblebee Catfish. They grow to about 3 1/2 - 4". I don't think they bury themselves they way Banjo Cats do. While neither is aggressive per se, they have the potential of eating any fish that can fit in their mouths.

If you choose the Bumblebee, make sure you're getting the South American Bumblebee and not the Asian Bumblebee. The Asian Bumblebee looks similar, but grows larger and is much more aggressive.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting tha banjo, maybe two I don't know what so you guys think? There are 2 Cory's, 4 kuhli loaches , and a bn pleco, should I add one or two?

2 banjo cats should work. Just feed them at night since the cories can be real pigs

Back
Top Bottom