Feeding times

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaOne

Aquarium Advice Freak
There's a thread running about 'filter on or off' when feeding, which to me is a no-brainer since in the wild water flow doesn't suddenly stop when food happens to come along. Does anyone give it a thought to maybe feed when the light's off ? I bet there are far more fish species that would normally hunt or feed at night than those who wait until the water is still !
Just a thought ! I know my talking catfish only comes out after 'light's-out', so I'm sure he appreciates my occasional 'nocturnal' feeding programme.:popcorn:

i tend to feel (maybe 5) minutes before the lights turn off... i figured this way everyone either goes to bed on a full stomach or wakes up to breakfast...?

It is not that the water stops but that the filter would suck up the food and then you would have decaying matter in the filter pumping out ammonia

I have to turn off all the flow in my sw tanks as those fish are kinda spazzy and stupid. lol

I don't turn off flow for my cichlids though, they are more than capable of getting their food.

I tend to feed 1/2 after lights up and 1/2 before lights out. Seems to keep my guys happy.

I feed sometime in the evening. I do not really have any nocturnal fish so night time feeding is not an issue.

Interesting, but seems to follow that if they are in a fishtank instead of the wild, most fish will probably adapt to a feeding pattern quite readily. Who said they only have 5 seconds of memory ??
Interesting, but seems ((( oop's... already did that bit !!)

I try and feed my guys at about 6pm everyday, lights come on at 2 and go off at 11pm. All I have to do is open the drawer under the tank which is on magnetic clip and they all rush to the surface, all very well trained already! lol

wow good point and post i was going to start one my self about this but i am glad i stumbled upon this post

i tend to feed like andrewz00 said
i feed before i turn off the light and unplug the filter for about 20 mins

but now comes the good part
when it comes to feeding what type of flakes do you give your FW fish
i am starting to think tetramin aint the right one for me
or at least i dont know yet but not happy of my fish getting sick
means they aint eating healthy i would like a feed that boost immune system

Flake food brands, loads of them ! If you really look at what they all offer, there's not really so much difference apart from colouring. I am currently using a cheap 'local store' version after speaking to my daughter. She's doing animal biology and has been lucky enough to spend time in Bristol Zoo Aquarium. There she was able to find out a few 'interesting' facts about fish foods. Looking at the tubs of flake food, there was no difference between a well-known brand-name and the cheapo stuff, so I saved a bundle to put towards livestock. Just recently, another store has had 'Supa' flake on a very special price, so 3x tubs while it's cheap !
There are some exceptions for fish feed, like the algae wafers, and 'Hikari' seem to be the best so there's no cost-saving to be had there !

i feed my fish all in the daytime. The nocturnal fish know that if they want something they better get it while the gettins good :]

There are a lot of differences in flake foods, but yes it is correct that many are similar or even exactly the same, but definitely read the labels. I use a high quality flake in custom blends and it's way cheaper than even the big name cheap brands (at retail not at bulk)

after speaking to my daughter. She's doing animal biology and has been lucky enough to spend time in Bristol Zoo Aquarium. There she was able to find out a few 'interesting' facts about fish foods.

that must be really cool to have that inside info

but def got to look into it

i feed my fish all in the daytime. The nocturnal fish know that if they want something they better get it while the gettins good :]

i tend to do that sometimes when i have to leave for a night or two
and i feed them a acceptable amount and my clown loach is the first one to come out :hide: of hiatus :ROFLMAO:

but def going to start getting my "special flakes" from you

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom