Figure-Eight Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drake

Aquarium Advice Freak
What would be considered a "pleco" for a brackish tank? Like a good bottom feeder that helps keep the tank clean. And would get along well with a figure-eight puffer.

[center:e6888a2f43] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Drake! :n00b: [/center:e6888a2f43]
I have yet to find a "brackish pleco." From what I understand, part of why BW tanks are not popular is the lack of algae eating finned friends :?

I do weekly or biweekly PWC while vacuuming the gravel for my BW tank and use an algae sponge to wipe away the algae.

I saw a sight that said that the diamond killifish would be a good algea grazer and also mollies but I don't know if they would og good with figure 8 puffers.

Drake said:
What would be considered a "pleco" for a brackish tank? Like a good bottom feeder that helps keep the tank clean. And would get along well with a figure-eight puffer.

Sorry, you have to do your own algae cleaning. Puffers aren't very big on having tankmates. Figure eights are pretty docile, but like any puffer they're un-predictable and can strike at any moment.

I personally don't have a problem with algae in my 135g brackish tank, but dissolved solids are a problem. If you're getting a brackish tank I highly suggest using a protein skimmer, even on the low end.

Yeah, Plecos (Loricariids) come from quite high elevations, generally, and rivers in the interior of the continent (SA)--so not very near to the ocean at all. Consequently, they do not tolerate salt. I have heard that the hardier Hypostomus plecostomus can sometimes tolerate salt in their water, but I strongly urge you not to try this, as they really are FW fish, and will almost certainly die.

It's a conundrum, alright. :?

Back
Top Bottom